Preservative info....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I recently got started making my own lotions. I have pretty bad eczema and I've tried just about everything. So I started making my own.

I refuse to use parabens and propylene glycol in my products not only for obvious health reasons, but because they are skin irritants, especially to those of us with eczema and other skin disorders.

A lady at Whole Food recommended a pinch of ascorbic acid, with is pure vitamin C as a preservative. Some essential oils such as bergamot, patchouli, citrus oils, and tea tree are naturally anti-fungal, but I'm not sure to what extent they are effective.

Has anyone else tried this method out?

Everything I have found says there is not a "natural" preservative that does what is needed. I don't mind using non-preservative lotions myself, but do not want to risk family and friends with it. I dont' sell, but do keep F&F supplied (have a nephew who will drive 80 miles to get soap and lotion) with skin friendly products. I thought beeswax or Vit E would do the trick, but on further investigation, it does not look like that is the case.

Hi, I recently got started making my own lotions. I have pretty bad eczema and I've tried just about everything. So I started making my own.

I refuse to use parabens and propylene glycol in my products not only for obvious health reasons, but because they are skin irritants, especially to those of us with eczema and other skin disorders.

A lady at Whole Food recommended a pinch of ascorbic acid, with is pure vitamin C as a preservative. Some essential oils such as bergamot, patchouli, citrus oils, and tea tree are naturally anti-fungal, but I'm not sure to what extent they are effective.

Has anyone else tried this method out?

Using those methods are trial and error. Ascorbic Acid, along with another acid, i believe citric, are common in naturally preserved commercial products, as well as food. The tea tree may also help as well. How much, I'm unsure of. Using citrus oils... Not as effective as using the acids themselves. It's the citric acid in those oils that acts as the preservative, but you'd need a lot to achieve the same results as a little citric acid. I personally use Vegecide from Ingredients To Die For, coupled with citric acid, in my conditioner. I haven't had them tested yet since I'm not selling now, but I do know that regulations are that so long as your method is effective when tested, and preservative, or none, if fine.

Last edited:
I realize this thread is old, but I've been looking at Germall Plus, as I believe it to be paraben free, for use in lotions. But I don't have my lotion mixture at 50-60°C at cool down. In fact, it's barely that hot at peak. Can it be used at lower temp? Currently I use Optiphen Plus but it can get pricey.

I am using germall plus liquid (0.5) and I am happy with it, I also use Optiphen plus (0.5-1%) which is probably the safest. It is tricky to use it, but works great.
they must be added in cool phase, so low temps

afaik, germall plus has to be mixed at temps below 50c, right? at least that's what i'm doing so far.

someone please cmiiw.

side effect of parabens

Did you know that recently research shows that paraben uses in cosmetics are correlated to breast cancers? So I think better using natural preservatives......

I would not risk my health and health of my family or friends to give them anything without proper preservation.
I do not understand how people do believe that they do not see it, so it does not exist....well no one can see Ebola virus, too......

Re parabens, there is controversy about the link with breast cancer but studies have also indicated that methylparaben applied on the skin may react with UVB leading to increased skin aging and DNA damage. I think everyone agrees that they mimic estrogen but beyond that it's hard to know the truth because we don't do the research ourselves and we often don't know who has funded the research :roll: Sigh. I avoid them (along with GMOs) because I just don't know if they are safe - plus from a purely pragmatic point of view, they have a bad rap so a lot of people will avoid products containing them.

Last edited:
I think we have to change our opinion on how we view cosmetics. We are used to their everlasting shelf life, 1-2 years. I found a body butter 5 years old, expired but still smelled the same. Didn't use it but made me wonder what is it in it that I am putting on my skin... Any natural product would go off for that time. I made that whip last night http://www.rootsimple.com/2011/11/the-whip-a-homemade-moisturizer-how-to-from-making-it/ substituting distilled water for rose water. And I like what she says, that you have to look at your natural cosmetic products the way you look at food. Keep it in the fridge if it is a big jar, use a spatula so you do not put extra germs with your fingers etc . And I believe that customers should be educated about that too if they really want a really natural product. But this is just me and another point of view which may have its weak points and not be applicable for every case:)

steliyana have you look at that lotion under the microscope? Rose water is preserved but I would not preserve all of it. Do u think in the fridge bacterias die? Some of them frozen still survive

I would not risk my health and health of my family or friends to give them anything without proper preservation.
I do not understand how people do believe that they do not see it, so it does not exist....well no one can see Ebola virus, too......

Please consider that medication for curing cancer is not found yet, but infection either bacteria of virus there are cure for this, even for virus scientist can create vaccine from it.
cheers..:)

Please consider that medication for curing cancer is not found yet, but infection either bacteria of virus there are cure for this, even for virus scientist can create vaccine from it.

So you are saying NOT to use something with a very small chance of causing cancer (and please, show me all the preservatives that are KNOWN to cause cancer) because there is no cure for it but instead to choose an almost certain risk of bacteria developing that can cause terrible issues because there is a cure, by which you mean pharmachems? Which pharma company do you work for........................? :Kitten Love:

Am I reading your statement correctly? You are saying that a serious infection from bacteria or staph would be better than using something with a small possibility of causing cancer to avoid it because infections can be cured or have a vaccination created? Please clarify if I'm reading this wrong. I know I've seen people lose limbs because of infections and have life threatening complications from bacterial infections.

I would love to see some supporting links to your statement.

here is a great preservative chart and usable information as well : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1020026/preservativechart.pdf

this topic is not an easy one by any means , for we all have personal opinions on what "natural" is . what we use will somewhat be dictated by the customer and the "green, natural, organic" tread. right now paraben and formaldehyde free products is what the average "natural product" consumer tends to gravitate to. some soap makers holds the same feeling about micas and oxides colorants and also service a clientele that holds those feelings as well. it is good to remember that everything decays , some quicker than others , and a shelf life should be respected [even though some may last long outside of that date ] when dealing with a consumer . there is a reason that you do not see family size bottles of handmade lotion/creams ( at least i personally have not seen one) on the shelf , everything tends to be in the 4-8oz size, made to be used up in a period of time that makes the preservative functionally active without it going bad due to "natural time" breaking down the components.
when choosing a preservative or ingredient for a product we tend to weigh 1st the benefit it brings to the product followed with a target consumer in mind ..... we all try to make a good informed judgement dis-spite our conflict of opinions , in the end we must be willing to stand by those decisions good or bad . i may never get to make some of the beautiful colorful swirls i see you guys make but i will be toe to toe in making a product that is beneficial to the skin as any other one out there .

In my opinion better safe than sorry. Bacterial infection can be dangerous and as I said I would not risk it. I worry about the costumers and their infections. I do not sell it is a hobby for me and I still preserve it. Right now I will avoid natural, no preserved products like hell. I got scared:roll:
I m not chemist or doctor but I know what is important to avoid infections. I am sorry but not preserved and safe does not go together, it is pure BS, ladies and gentlemen. I mean no offense

Latest posts

Back