Bayberry Wax for Soap & Candles

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Violet_21

Reaction score
My family owns property on an island off the coast of Maine. Recently we have realized that we have an abundance of Bayberry (Myrica pensylvanica) bushes growing there. For fun, we would like to boil down the berries to get the wax. With the wax, we are looking into possibly making soap and candles. So this is when we would like to ask, has anybody used the wax for these reasons?

After some research, it appears there isn't much information about using it in soap as the wax fairly rare. The wax doesn't appear on SoapCalc or Soapee, so I don't know what the SAP value is. Another strand of bayberry wax from Myrica cerifera is said to have a SAP value of 205-217. So should I assume this is the same for Myrica pensylvanica? Also, is there another oil that I can use in the soap calculator in substitution for the wax in order to calculate the correct amount of lye needed?

We would like to make tinier candles measuring about 2.5" tall and 1.5" in diameter. Would any chandlers recommend a specific size and material wick that could be used? I have seen that #2/0 square braided wicks have been used by one person, but I don't know what the difference is between the different sizes and what it would mean for the length of time the candle burns.

Thank you all in advance for your help! (and sorry for this super long post!)

It looks like the various species of wax myrtles can all be used for bayberry wax. That probably accounts for the range in SAP value. I'd pick something from the calculator list with a SAP value right in the middle or toward the lower end of the range for bayberry wax and use that to figure lye. Maybe include a bit of SF, just in case.

As far as bayberry wax in soap, I can't find anything really about it either, except one brief mention from a site that I consider not necessarily reliable information. It said that bayberry wax soap was considered to be gentler than common lye soap.

If you're able to harvest several pounds of wax, why not set aside a few ounces and make a batch of soap with it? I at least would love to know (and see pictures of!) how that works out. And pics of the candles, too!

Yes, I had come across this information as well. I think we will definitely blend the bayberry wax with beeswax because it takes A TON of berries just to make a pound of wax!

I'd pick something from the calculator list with a SAP value right in the middle or toward the lower end of the range for bayberry wax and use that to figure lye. Maybe include a bit of SF, just in case.

Thank you! I will definitely do this! I will also be sure to update the post with pictures once we can harvest the berries in late October. :)

Back