Perfume blends

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kittish

Enthusiastic Newbie
Reaction score
SIL and her spawn were just over, and I made up a couple of scents for them with their input on what they liked. Gotta get some fragrance strips, q-tips are a bit too unwieldy when I need to set up sniffies of a dozen or more EOs.

First one, mother and daughter both liked, so made up a bottle for each of them.

4 parts Ylang ylang
1 part Carnation absolute (25% dilution in jojoba)
1 part Lemongrass
1/2 part Lavender

Second one was for the boy, since he wanted a scent of his own.

3-4 parts Fir needle
1-2 parts Orange 10x
1 part Frankincense

I was kind of surprised by how well the fir needle and orange worked together. The frank gave it a nice bottom without it becoming medicinal smelling.

Mom and daughter also both liked the simple version of what I'm calling Blue Lace, so I sent a sample mister of it with them:

4 parts ylang ylang
2 parts patchouli
1 part lavender
1 part amyris

I'm planning on adding 1/2-1 part each of rose and jasmine to the blend for perfume and lotion bars. I'll use the simple version for soap.

For perfumes, I'm mixing my EO blends with 190 proof grain alcohol at a ratio of 1 part EO blend to 9 parts alcohol. I may drop that down to 5% EO for at least the ones I've got so far, the fragrance of the 10% solution is pretty strong.

I love ylang ylang, have to try those blends!

I've been thinking of making my own perfumes too and have a small collection of perfumery stuff but haven't come around to actually make anything yet. I feel I'm not knowledgeable enough yet and soaping is taking up all my brain capacity :think:

I love ylang ylang, have to try those blends!

I've been thinking of making my own perfumes too and have a small collection of perfumery stuff but haven't come around to actually make anything yet. I feel I'm not knowledgeable enough yet and soaping is taking up all my brain capacity :think:

Pffft, if I waited to try something until I felt I was knowledgeable enough, I'd never get anything done. Give making some perfume a whirl! Start small. I start most of my blends off in drops, winding up with one or two milliliters of blended EOs (about as much as will fit into the tiny glass perfume sample vials for reference), then increasing the amount I make to an ounce or half an ounce once I'm happy with how it smells. That's part of why I have my recipes written out in parts instead of grams.

So the next bottle of Blue Lace oil is going to get some changes. The lavender is going away. I don't like how it sharpens both in soap and after 6-8 hours of wear as perfume. This is intended to be a sweet floral, I don't want perfumy sharp. I'm thinking wait til I get vanillin powder, and add just a touch of that in place of the lavender.

Latest posts

Back