Wait What?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmlove1218

Reaction score
I was poking around on Etsy, looking at baby soaps and found this in the description of a Castile bar:

"Tips: Baby Soap should be slightly acidic. Always test your baby's soap pH before using it on your baby. Johnson & Johnson and Jasons Baby Soap pH 9 and way too high. Baby skin is 5 times thiner than our adult skin and needs a pH balanced soap to avoid irritation."

I would too. After I saw that, I poked around in their shop a bit and found a few more questionable things. There's no way I'd buy from that shop..

So I had to go looking and didn't find it but I did find one who cures her regular soaps for two weeks but because she HPs her Castile, she can skip the long cure. I can't imagine how awful that Castile would be. How does Etsy not have any controls? Is it just buyer beware?

I think I found what the OP was looking at. Here is another description:

"Mother, child and baby can have one gentle soap together that will help moisturize and nourish all skin types. All of our soaps are pH balanced and cured for minimum of 1-2 months"

Umm, I would like to know how they can make their soap pH balanced. Must be a miracle worker...

Yep that's the one. I'm pretty sure they don't list their ingredients in depending order either. I don't see how lye can come before ALL their oils in ALL their recipes.

1. Soap doesn't moisturize. 2. HP STILL needs a cure, like cp. 3. Most soapers don't test their pH correctly - how's a layperson gonna do it right?

Drives me crazy when people advertise with bad information to cover up their poor manufacturing skills. I have a new soaper here in my town who puts on their soap labels AND website that soap goes bad after three months. Grrr.... then we're left to clean up their mess.

There are a lot of misleading B&B makers out there. I was looking at a site the other day and they claimed their soap would cure acne and was a skin lightener. They also had a serum that would lighthten skin and work on acne too. They had no other ingredients than most of us use in our soaps. It's really quite sad that people feel they have to give bogus informaion. I would so like to contact some of these people and ask for their FDA approvals for making these claims.

Back