Is this normal for Funky Hair Syndrome?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Linda's shampoo bar (I can not find the link) after 12 weeks of curing it is wonderful. I was dealing with hair loss for over 3 years. I am using the shampoo bar over two months and my fine hair :( stopped falling. I can manage it easier, than after using Nioxin shampoo and conditioner (pretty expensive) , forumulated for hair loss.
I think the absence of strong chemicals in my shampoo is the key:))

Okay, so after several months, my hair has fully transitioned, but now something else has cropped up.

I can't tell if it's too much superfat or soapscum on my hair. I've been switching between my variant of the lindy bar and my coconut oil bar, because it's getting harder and harder to get the lindy bar to lather in my hair, and I struggle to get the soap distributed without the help of lathering. My hair feels heavy and coated, but only very slightly in an oily way. It's also putting up resistance when I comb it, which it wouldn't be doing if it were truly oily. My hair has also been very dry, in like forever, but it hasn't felt dry in the past week or so, even with me stretching out days between washings.

I do have insanely hard water, so soap scum isn't out of the realm of possibility, even with the sodium citrate in the bar and the strong citric acid rinse I use after rinsing out the soap.

Any suggestions for cheap cleansers that I could use every now and then, until I get to a place with softer water? Something that wouldn't send me straight back into FHS-land.

I'd never heard of using borax in a rinse. I don't have any salt bars (yet!), sadly... I'm using the citric acid instead of the ACV. I'd read that it should be what ends up being 1/32-1/24tsp of citric acid for 2 cups of water... What I've used the last couple of times has been 1/2 tsp of citric acid for the same amount of water.

Hi
I know when I first started using shampoo bars,effect was..well not too pleasant. It did go away after awhile, but before that,I would use conditioner plus I used a leave in conditioner from Lush, the R & B hair treatment and it helped tremendously as well as getting me hooked on it now.

Well, I tried a shampoo bar from a very accomplished soapmaker whose bars I've been ogling for some time. She uses a high percentage of coconut oil, and my hair feels straw-like today, especially the ends.

And, OK, I'll share my recipe:

Oils of Olive/Rice bran, Avocado, Castor. Herb-infused tea (or infused beer).
Coconut or Goat milk. Sodium hydroxide. Shea butter. Oils of Babassu, Jojoba, Argan, Broccoli seed.
Essential oils. Kaolin clay. Citric acid, Sodium lactate, Tussah silk, Dl-Panthenol,
Silk amino acids, Honeyquat, Sugar.
Next time I want to make a weak Soleseife version.

I honestly have to say it's the best shampoo I've ever used. Tons of lather, glossy and thicker feeling when dry. No stripping, drying, brittleness, straw, itchy scalp or buildup. I can go at least a day longer without having to wash my hair. My hair's long, thick and unruly, and I do use a tiny bit of conditioner on the ends. I don't want to sound like a self-promoter, but I do love these ingredients, and I swear the smaller quantities of the exotic ones make all the difference in the world.

Has anyone tried a shampoo bars with pine tar in them? I've been using Genny's shampoo bar recipe but I'm getting itchy scalp.....

SkaterGirl, I have never been able to get CP shampoo bars to work for me. My hair would feel great straight out of the shower and then within a few hours, it was a gunky matted tacky mess. I tried maybe 10 different formulations with various oils, additives, and superfat %. I tried various acidic rinses (which were unpleasant to use - I don't thrill to cold liquids while taking a hot shower). I could have persevered for longer than a week at a time, but I didn't. Instead I went to Swift's site (pointofinterest.blogspot.com) and learned how to make solid shampoo using mild synthetic detergents. I also learned how to make solid conditioner bars. My hair looks and feels great.

I envy those of you that were able to get CP soap to work with your hair. But for those of you for whom it doesn't seem to work, I wouldn't beat yourself up about it.

Has anyone tried a shampoo bars with pine tar in them? I've been using Genny's shampoo bar recipe but I'm getting itchy scalp.....

I had a bit of itchy scalp too so I took genny's original recipe and replaced the 10% soy with 5% coconut and 5% neem. Its a much better recipe for me and my scalp no longer itches. I also lowered the SF to 3%

This might have been asked already, but how much (in weight) citric acid to 8 oz water (by volume)? For the hair rinse. Thinking I'll just put it in a spray bottle and keep it in the shower.

This might have been asked already, but how much (in weight) citric acid to 8 oz water (by volume)? For the hair rinse. Thinking I'll just put it in a spray bottle and keep it in the shower.

I would be afraid of pathogens growing in there if you saved it longer than 3 days. Then be sure to run a 10% bleach solution or something through that bottle and sprayer straw/head before refilling.

I had a bit of itchy scalp too so I took genny's original recipe and replaced the 10% soy with 5% coconut and 5% neem. Its a much better recipe for me and my scalp no longer itches. I also lowered the SF to 3%
I have some itchiness too. I got a question Obsidian:)
What oil is similar to neem oil. I hate the smell of it, I am using it in the garden to spray the pests. I thought about 5% CO
I have right now; rice brain oil, sweet almond oil , babassu oil, fractioned CO;
Do you think soy oil is the one causing itchiness?
I have also all kind of butters..

There really isn't anything to sub for neem, you could try pine tar but it smells even worse. All the good healing compounds neem contains is probably what makes it stink so bad. I too hate the smell but at only 5%, the scent isn't too bad. I used a nice strong scent in my bar and it mostly covers it. The scent does fade a lot with time. I made unscented body soap with 25% neem and after 4 months, it doesn't smell at all.
I'll never make shampoo bars without neem, its been that good for me.

My scalp has always been itchy, the soy had nothing to do with it. I just don't care for soy in soap so I replaced it. If you scalp is getting itchy since you started using a shampoo bar, I would guess its not quite cleansing enough. Thats another reason I added the 5% coconut, the original recipe just didn't get my scalp quite clean enough.

Obsidian thank you, I must overcome my hate ;))Will add the 5%of CO. My soya oil is organic so no GMO which I avoid :) Thank you

I made a new batch replacing the soy with pine tar and using aloe vera juice for water. I kept it at 6% SF and scented with lavender. It stinks. I've ordered some neem and will make a neem version too and will report back.

I've got all kinds of skin issues so I'm no stranger to itchiness - I have seborrheic dermatitis in my scalp and psoriasis. I had been using Selsun blue for years before starting my soap adventure. Currently using Moogoo until I can get this right. I've also switched from regular boxed hair dye to a henna/indigo mix.

Latest posts

Back