Oatmeal questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grind my oatmeal to as fine as possible.

Mix with warm to hot water releases the starches (as in Gow Gee/Gyoza dumplings)

Strain through a medium cloth.
Let settle, cool and set a little.
Strain through a fine cloth.

Let it settle again (treat as food, as don't leave any more than 2 hours outside a refrigerated environment) ... you can choose which layer to select your soaping additive from:
The top is watery
The middle is the sweet spot
The bottom is the sediment and scratchy bits left over

This is what I do. I just buy generic Aveeno and it lasts forever. Oddly, this stuff makes my mother break out when she uses it. You can also purchase oat extract to add to your soap.

Recently, I made my own almond milk for an almond bar, and used the ground meal in the soap. It turned out pretty interesting and scrubby. Next time I'll buy almond flour, though.

I know it's OT, but Brazil nut milk is really nice as a water replacement too. Just throwing it out there.

I have done it , works ok but I grind it in my coffee mill to get powder. What I had noticed the soaps with this oatmeal are kind of softer than the ones with colloidal oats

Interesting, soap experimenting here I come. I love to make different soaps and see how they turn out. Or not turn out. Thank you so Much for all your wonderful advice. I'll keep you posted

Back