Adding at trace or to oils?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GraceDarlingSoaps

Reaction score
Dear Fellow Soapers,
I would like to know whether it makes a different to the saponification process if additives ( EO's; FO's; Colourants; Other additives such as purée carrots etc.) are added to the oils before the lye, compared to adding these items at trace.

It seems to me that if these are added to the oils one can limit the amount of stick blending and avoid excessive sudden thick trace. However, most soapers seem to add these things at trace.

I also think that if adding to the oils one can mix the additives in well, and make sure everything is smooth and well blended before adding the lye. But will the saponification commence and proceed normally if you do this?

I would really appreciate the opinions of our esteemed experienced soapers!

Thank you
GraceDarlingSoaps

Last edited:
There are many posts regarding this subject. I add pretty much everything to my oils except colorants if I'm doing multicolored soaps. I've never had a problem and find that adding most things to my oils makes things go so much smoother.

Thank you Shunt2011, it seems to me more relaxing to add whatever one is using to the oils, get it all nice and smooth and then start the lye process, without having to worry about adding possible trace accelerants later on. I don't understand why everyone doesn't do this?

I have always added all my additives save for swirl colors and accelerating FOs into my oils and mixed thoroughly before adding the lye. It does make for a very smooth process and minimizes the risk of forgetting something at the last minute.

Whenever possible, I like to add everything to my oils before adding my lye, but there are times when doing that is not the best way for me to go...... such as when I'm going to make a batch with multiple-colored swirls, or when I'm going to be using more than one fragrance in a batch (I sometimes make batches with multi-scented layers). Also- a couple of my my accelerating FOs seem to do better when added after the lye instead of before, although some of my other accelerating FOs do better being added before the lye. Go figure! lol

IrishLass :)

I also add everything to the oils (except FO if I need to separate it for whatever reason). I like to pull out a little water from my recipe to premix powders / clays in a slurry before I put add it into my oils. I think it's easier to make sure the ingredients are dissolved and clump free with my frother.

As a habit, I always put my FO container in my mold so I cannot forget to add it. Again. Ahem...

I think the only reason I hold the FO til trace is that is how I learned. Now that I have a few that I know play very well - I need to change that. Everything else goes in at the start. Clay, powdered milk, etc.

I always added at trace usually I pre mix colorants with a little bit of oil before adding it but I think I should try adding it to my weighed oils before lye is poured to ensure a good consistency

I add at trace, that way if I want to split the batter and add different things to each I can, this helps in layering.

Thank you for your help, fellow soapers, I am just about to make a batch with fresh ginger juice, ginger FO and rooibosch tea, am going to add the ginger juice and FO to the oils as I am not sure how they will affect trace. Happy Soaping to all,
GraceDarlingSoaps

Latest posts

Back