Aftershave alcohol

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lillybella

Reaction score
I'm going to attempt making some aftershaves. Does it matter the quality of the alcohol I buy? Do I need to buy an expensive vodka or does it matter?

I made some Bay Rum. used rum (of course) and vodka, a touch of which hazel etc.

This is the recipe

Vodka 8 oz
Dark Jamaican Rum (Cockspur), 4 oz
Bacardi 2oz
OVD (dark rum) 2oz
Witch Hazel 6 oz
Lime EO: 30 drops
Bay leaves dried: 20
West Indies essential oil 20 drops but could add more to your liking.
Rosemary: one sprig fresh
Allspice 6-10 berries, cracked (I only had powdered/pinch)
Black Peppercorns 6-19, cracked (I went for 12)
2 sticks Cinnamon, broken in pieces
Ginger Root, chopped (1" piece)
4 cloves (or more if you want stronger clove smell)

Thank you
How did it come out?

Does it matter what kind of alcohol you used?

I need to buy some.

Is the Bacardi gin or Volka?

What is the west indies EO?

Thank you
How did it come out?

Does it matter what kind of alcohol you used?

I need to buy some.

Is the Bacardi gin or Volka?

What is the west indies EO?
I am guessing this is the West Indies Bay EO, which is available at Liberty Natural Products for the best price I have found. Is this being made for personal use or for selling? From my understanding it cannot be sold without AFT licensing. Just curious

I make an aftershave for my hubby and my son. I use both Everclear and Isopropyl Alcohol 70% in mine (plus aloe juice, witch hazel, glycerin and FO). I'd use all-Everclear as the alcohol, but they like the addition of the isopropyl in there (for whatever reason, they both like the smell of it). For what it's worth, I don't sell mine.

IrishLass :)

I make an aftershave for my hubby and my son. I use both Everclear and Isopropyl Alcohol 70% in mine (plus aloe juice, witch hazel, glycerin and FO). I'd use all-Everclear as the alcohol, but they like the addition of the isopropyl in there (for whatever reason, they both like the smell of it). For what it's worth, I don't sell mine.

Yours would be okay because of the addition of isopropyl. The idea is you can not drink it. (It would make you sick). If it were only everclear they worry an underage person might try to drink it.

The recipe posted is like a spiced drink! Lol, even with witch hazel added the toxicity is low and therefore someone might try to drink it.

Last edited:
:lolno: I think it's because of the high alcohol content - 150 proof.
This is why I wanted to know does the type of alcohol used depend on the proof?

:lolno: I think it's because of the high alcohol content - 150 proof.
This is why I wanted to know does the type of alcohol used depend on the proof?

Everclear is 190 proof. It is 95 % alcohol. At least that is what is sold in CT and AZ.

As for the type used, the ATF doesn't care about proof, it cares if it can be consumed. Using just everclear presents problems as it can be consumed.

Last edited:
I made some Bay Rum. used rum (of course) and vodka, a touch of which hazel etc.

This is the recipe

Vodka 8 oz
Bacardi 2oz
OVD (dark rum) 2oz
Witch Hazel 6 oz

so is this considered drinkable?

Does a higher proof make for a better aftershave?

I don't know so much if it makes for a better aftershave, but the higher the alcohol content in it, the less need there is to have a preservative in it (a formula is considered to be 'self preserving' if the alcohol content is over a certain %).

This is the recipe

Vodka 8 oz
Bacardi 2oz
OVD (dark rum) 2oz
Witch Hazel 6 oz
This sounds...Delicious.
this may call for some mixology outside of the soaping realm.

The home made Bay Rum is quite nice when finished. It is short lived but then so is the shop bought stuff. The West Indies Bay EO is from a completely different plant than the Bay leaves we use for cooking. I'm not sure if the West Indies EO is fit to be ingested. I also add witch hazle and I wouldn't drink that.

I do however plan on making one without the West Indies EO and witch hazle. That one is going to be for personal use AND drinking.

Basically I think any clear spirit with little flavour would do so vodka or white rum. Hope this helps.

The strength of alcohol and how much EO is in it will make a difference to the finished product as to wether it's a splash on (like the bay rum) or more of an EDT for application on non-shaved areas around the face.

Back