Kaolin clay & Bentonite clay

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cactuslily

Reaction score
I just got my order from american, and decided to order a few extra things with my T&S mold. 2 of them being the clays. How do I use them, and what do they do to the soap? Couldn't find any info on forum. Any suggestions and input?

I add bentonite to a lot of soaps, I love how it makes the cured bar feel kinda bouncy, I love how it adds slip to the lather and feels gently cleansing, I love how after use the soap is easier to grip. Hubby asks for clay in all his soaps. I just made some shaving soaps with bentonite - I know the big kids on the shaving boards dont like "dirt" in their shaving soaps, but hubby and his buddies do :)

I also use Moroccan red clay and French green clay in a lot of soaps, and just got some sea clay.

Edit to add: I also think that clays in general help my EO's to "stick", sometimes I even soak the clay in the EO's

Last edited:
I use 1 tablespoon PPO of kaolin. Mostly as a binder for scents, but it does lighten the batter a little so seems to help keep the green of my OO from affecting color too much. It does also make the soap seem smoother, but that might just be me.

I've been using silk in all my soaps, will adding the clay make it too slippery or slimy feeling?
Aside from mixing the kaolin into your oils, can you add directly to your pot of oils and SB before adding your lye solution? Not sure if it would clump. Sorry if these ?'s are so basic, but I'm so new at this. Thank you all for taking time to respond!

I use both silk and kaolin in soaps (especially for DH - he loves clay in his soap). I just add my dry kaolin to my oils and SB it in. Maybe I've gotten lucky, but I've never had a problem with it. I use 1 tbsp ppo.

I've been using silk in all my soaps, will adding the clay make it too slippery or slimy feeling?
Aside from mixing the kaolin into your oils, can you add directly to your pot of oils and SB before adding your lye solution? Not sure if it would clump. Sorry if these ?'s are so basic, but I'm so new at this. Thank you all for taking time to respond!

Yes, I dump in the teaspoon of powder and stick blend for several moments until it is well incorporated. If I do not immediate add my lye water, I will give it a pulse to lick it all up again.

Latest posts

Back