HP soap never cooked

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spice

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first for me, I consider myself a newbie still, have been HP soap for a few months and seems I have a good understand of how it works......expect tonite.:evil:

My first mistake was a newbie one, I didnt have all the ingredients ready to go; to top it off I had poured my lye into my oils thinking that it would take me just a minute to get what I needed. It took a minute and a half of my lye in with my oils waiting for me to blend.

I think they got mad and decided not to cook. It was hard as a rock after 45 min on the stove, I decided to turn off the stove because the oils hard and nothing happened. It actually looked as if it seized in the pot.

sure if I can even rebatch.

messed up soap.jpg

grape 3.18
water 19.06
NoAH 8.169
my forgotten ingredient was TD 1 tbs there about's since I was in a hurry.

I believe, as I racked my brain, I over did it in the lye. I remembered that something funny happen to my scale, I thought I had pushed something. Then I took the same cup that I use to pure lye, I remembered the cup was full, so I recreated the and remeasured a full cup of lye......came out to be 16.55 oz of lye. I could have reset the scale and measured what I thought was to be 8.169.:oops:

Similar thing happened to me in the past, someone told me to re-batch the cracked one and make another batch at the same time with less lye then while they are both liquids mix them well together. I never tried it; I'd rather hear a professional advice from some one who knows well.

Lye heaviness can cause that sort of thing - I've just never seen it like that before.

I can't run the numbers at the moment as I'm on the app, but what sort of water amount did you use, as a % or ratio, rather than the actual grams amount.

Lye heaviness can cause that sort of thing - I've just never seen it like that before.

I can't run the numbers at the moment as I'm on the app, but what sort of water amount did you use, as a % or ratio, rather than the actual grams amount.
Sorry, what do you mean, "as a % or ratio"? I used the actual grams amounts. The lye was twice what it was to be, it was to be 8.0169 and I used 16.55. I cant believe I even did that.

Your recipe:
grape 3.18
water 19.06
NoAH 8.169

I suspect there's more than just "grape" (grapeseed oil?) in the recipe. The recipe just don't look right, even if you had correctly measured the amount of NaOH as written. Are there other fats in your recipe than "grape"? Also, are the units ounces or grams?

The lye solution concentration (19.06 units of water and 8.169 units of NaOH) is about 30%. Not too bad. If you doubled the NaOH and used the same amount of water, then the lye solution would have been near 46% NaOH solution concentration. Do-able but definitely not the norm.

Regardless of the fats in the recipe, let's look at the problem that you used twice the amount of lye needed, you used a very concentrated (46%) lye solution, and you ended up with brittle "soap rocks" as shown in your picture.

If there was more water in the soap, I'd suggest you just give it a good long cure and see if it is still zappy at 6-8 weeks. Given that there is so very little water in this particular batch, I am concerned that there is not enough water to allow the large excess of NaOH to dissipate to safe levels, even if given plenty of time.

I really think this batch should be discarded. I would wrap the solid soap in layers of newspaper, seal the wrapped soap in a heavy plastic bag, and discard it in the trash.

Very seldom do I think tossing a batch is the best idea, but unless you can explain exactly how much lye and water was in there to how much of what kind of oil, I think this batch needs to be tossed. Just follow DeeAnna's instructions above. Be sure to wear gloves when wrapping it up. If it is still "soap rocks", I would dump them into a plastic bag or jar with a securable top, secure the top, and wrap that in newspapers and then in a heavy plastic bag.

Latest posts

Back