Stearic acid for shimmer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PippiL

Reaction score
How much SA to add to white soap to get that shimmer ?
I can't remember.Thanks.

I would be very cautious in adding any acid to soap without having a proper method of pH testing. Any of the individual fatty acids can lower ph the same way Citric Acid will. I personally like to use Lauric acid, the major fatty acid in Coconut and palm kernel oils, to lower ph as it dissolves clear and provides added benefits such as light thickening and even Cleansing and bubbles. Though quite a bit need to be used to achieve the latter.

And as with any additive to attain a certain effect, each recipe will behave differently. Maybe you can experiment with a small 8oz sample of finished soap, then resize to fit the entire batch?

Stearic Acid is a fatty acid that is saponified when used with your base oils - it has no relevance to or affect on pH like citric acid (which is not a fatty acid).

I have never had luck with adding stearic acid up front (I have only tried small amounts because I find it can be very drying) in getting an opaque soap. Animal fats can give you a pearlized effect though too. You can also try glycerol stearate after dilution to get a pearlized look, but I have only had success with that when also adding an emulsifier.

If used alone, it will most certainly effect pH, which is what it sounds like OP is asking since she's said add to soap, and not up front. Though OP is more than welcome to clarify as to when she plans on using SA.

And actually, now that I think about it, when I first started making soap, I didn't have table salt to thicken, so I used the sea salt I had on hand, and that gave it a pearly effect. Maybe you can try that?

Last edited:
Stearic acid will not affect pH - in fact it is used at up to 5% (some may use even higher percentages) with glycerin to superfat cream soap (this is what gives cream soap its pearlized look) - does not affect pH. Also, some cream soap recipes use up to 70% stearic acid with the base oils - pH is not affected. Again, it is a fatty acid.

I'm quite aware of what it's used for. And I'll say it again, it's a weak acid, and will effect pH if additions aren't monitored. I use MCTs regularly to lower pH. In Jackie Thompson's slideshow on liqud soap making, she uses a variety of Additives, singularly of course, for neutralizing soap: Citric Acid, gluconic acid, and stearic acid. I invite you to go take a look at her website for more information.

This isn't cosmetics, this is saop. Swift has said time over she doesn't make soap. Plus, there are times even Swift is wrong and has been corrected by well known chemists on her own blog.

Jackie Thompson however does, has a book coming out in a few weeks, and uses stearic acid to neutralize. She describes it's use here:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3e5_Ew1Rt6fcDl0YkpLYTBOWkU/edit?usp=docslist_api

Faith, I'm not going to argue with you. Stop derailing the thread to start a fight with me. I'm seriously over it. If you can't answer the question, move on please. Thank you.

Last edited:
If making LS it is lard that will give a shimmery pearl effect. Stearic acid is usually used in bar soap to add hardness. It is used in high percentage for cream soap making. Also used in varying amount for shave bars. I have not heard of it being used for ph adjusting.

Let's set this straight shall we? Stearic Acid is not an acid as we think of them. IF the OP puts it in with her oils/butters when she starts making the LS it will add a pearly look to the soap without negatively impacting pH. OP start with 4% and see how that goes for you.

I'm going to ask that the bickering stop and allow this to be a conversation without trying to prove someone else wrong. If you don't agree please move on and get over it.

Ta

Let's set this straight shall we? Stearic Acid is not an acid as we think of them. IF the OP puts it in with her oils/butters when she starts making the LS it will add a pearly look to the soap without negatively impacting pH. OP start with 4% and see how that goes for you.

I'm going to ask that the bickering stop and allow this to be a conversation without trying to prove someone else wrong. If you don't agree please move on and get over it.

Ta

Do I include that in SoapCalc right up front, or use it as an additive?

If adding stearic acid as one of your oils up front, yes, you include it in your lye calculations. If trying to use it after the fact, you need to be careful because you will be superfatting your soap. If your soap has excess lye, then the stearic acid can neutralize that excess lye by giving it something to saponify, if you add too much, you may end up with cloudy soap or the excess fatty acids floating around in it.

In cream soap, quite a bit if glycerin is used to counter the drying effects of stearic acid so that is something to keep in mind when adding it to your soap. I have found that for my needs, stearic acid added after dilution (with an emulsifier) was far too drying. I would stick to adding it to your base oils like Lindy has indicated.

Ah! Thank you so much! Shimmery liquid hand soap will be so pretty in a foamer bottle, so I was planning on making some as soon as the splint comes off, so this was a timely discussion! I thought I could make some red and some green for Christmas presents.

Hola, did I stir controversy , LOL ?
But thanks everybody, I only used 2%, thickened my soap, no pearly shine.
And I used it at the diluting stage.

Back