What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont recall myself calling shunt a "figurehead" at all, neither did I say anything about her knowledge or experience, I merely disagreed on her statement.
On the point that she made that soap is for cleaning only and not for conditioning or moisturing we can agree to disagree. Most, if not all, the oils/butters etc etc we use to add into our soap are for conditioning and moisturing. My soaps are very plain to look at but are medicinal and provide an external source of vitamins, minerals, conditioning and moisturising.
This would bring up the argument of wether the combination of oils is for nought or the additions are just to make pretty.
So - I shall stick to my guns with the fact that soaps are not "just for cleaning".
While I am no expert on this subject and others are free to disagree with me - I firmly believe that soap does not moisturize the skin. Soap removes oils from the skin and washes it down the drain. Commercial “soaps” are sulfectants that strip the skin of oils and this the dry feeling. Real soaps...those that are mild - remove less of the oils and leaving your skin feeling soft due largely to their ph levels and wash away more effectively than commercial “soaps”. Handmade soap is a wash-away product. It does not penetrate and stay on your skin.

That is why you can’t legally make claims about a soaps properties other than the fact that it cleans - because it doesn’t. It washes dirt and oils from the skin and it all goes down the drain ( along with the expensive butters and oils). Other than adjusting ph levels on skin - all soaps are the same. Some oils and butters have lower or higher ph levels and that, in turn, affects how it reacts with the acidic and alkaline properties of your skin. This article does a good job of explaining that:

https://www.livestrong.com/article/152255-ph-effects-on-skin/

So, in my opinion, the best thing to say regarding soap properties is that it (May) be gentle and that it cleans. Anything else is just hogwash and untrue. That’s just
My opinion.

I dont recall myself calling shunt a "figurehead" at all, neither did I say anything about her knowledge or experience, I merely disagreed on her statement.
On the point that she made that soap is for cleaning only and not for conditioning or moisturing we can agree to disagree. Most, if not all, the oils/butters etc etc we use to add into our soap are for conditioning and moisturing. My soaps are very plain to look at but are medicinal and provide an external source of vitamins, minerals, conditioning and moisturising.
This would bring up the argument of wether the combination of oils is for nought or the additions are just to make pretty.
So - I shall stick to my guns with the fact that soaps are not "just for cleaning".

Your skin is made up of many layers of dead cells that are constantly being shed. It is intended that these layers carry with them the bacteria and such that may harm you. https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/health-and-human-body/human-body/skin/ It is wholly impractical to believe that you are getting anything through those layers when using a wash off product. Your skin simply does not have time in the soap to absorb anything when those layers of cells are going down the drain.

Now, what you CAN do by changing your formula, is to not remove more oils than necessary. And, once patted dry, you can then ADD a moisturizing and conditioning agent (lotion or cream) that then seals in the moisture added from the bath.

Last edited:
Made labels for soaps that are done curing. I'm hoping to get 3 soaps made today, but I'm not sure I have that much masterbatch. Might have to add masterbatching oils to the list. I should order more oils soon. I think I'm down to enough for 3 buckets of masterbatch.

So today is my birthday, that's right, uh-huh, it's my birthday. My son told me he got me a subscription to a soaping magazine, I didn't even know there was such a thing or even the title yet. Can't wait for the first issue! I guess now I'm all in to this soaping world.
I want to be very careful here and not offend and I say this with a great deal of affection for my fellow soapers. But last year, I'd say to my wife, "Honey, there's entire YouTube channels devoted to this!" "Honey, you wouldn't believe how many blogs there are!" "Honey, there's a whole sub-culture I never knew existed!" "Honey, there's this forum and people have really strong opinions about percentages of coconut oil!"
Seriously, I'm always grateful for this forum and for discovering the joy of soaping. It's been a challenging year professionally with an unexpected layoff and it's been a great creative outlet to make soap -- and friends and family seem to appreciate the results. With great appreciation,

Happy Belated Birthday

Think about how long soap stays on when bathing or showering, so do you really think they are going to do much medicinally? It you feel they are moisturizing and medicinal that is your choice. But remember you cannot make claims when selling such as eczema soap, which you really do not want to test insurance if someone has a bad reaction. Stick to your guns, but soap only is for cleaning then rinsing off within a few seconds. Never mind maybe where you live you can make claims, you cannot in the US. Also makes me wonder how long you have been making soap. Many people new to this think it is the greatest thing there is. FYI some people cannot use lye based soap, such as one of my daughters.

Your skin is made up of many layers of dead cells that are constantly being shed. It is intended that these layers carry with them the bacteria and such that may harm you. https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/health-and-human-body/human-body/skin/ It is wholly impractical to believe that you are getting anything through those layers when using a wash off product. Your skin simply does not have time in the soap to absorb anything when those layers of cells are going down the drain.

Now, what you CAN do by changing your formula, is to not remove more oils than necessary. And, once patted dry, you can then ADD a moisturizing and conditioning agent (lotion or cream) that then seals in the moisture added from the bath.
Yep

Just wrapped a few batches up because they are at the end of cure time and i made an entire loaf for a good friend and if it doesnt snow tonight ill be seeing her tomorrow so wanted to have them all nicely wrapped to give them to her. i went a bit ott with my veg peeler and ended up obsessivly peeling the surfaces trying to get them flat to only realise several times i had peeled so much the soap was much thinner than when i started. So after that i gathered all my peelings dumped them in my scraps tub and as thats not very full i will make a confetti soap soon so they wont go to waste :) i seem to have lost an entire batch somewhere or its lost its scent and i now cant tell where it is ill have another good owd fondle in morn and see if i can find it for wrapping tomorrow then ill label and box them if i have time or if it snows.

penelopejane the same rules in Canada, I put 100 g on mine and they usually 110, after cure, I do not want to risk it and get fine for selling something with wrong weight on label.

Apiberdey @Zing!

Sending you hugs, complete with smacks n jiggles, and good vibes on your special day lol :D

rolling-on-the-floor-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif ' smacks and jiggles' are never gonna die!!!!!!!!!!!

Nope. They love it. Also fondling..........

Tested a few bars that have been curing since somewhere in November. A different soap piece each time I need to wash my hands. So far they all feel nice, not drying at all after.

So much fun seeing different kinds of lather and bubbles!

View attachment 35633 @Susie - sorry to hear about your event -ridden holiday. Hope all goes well for you on Friday.
@Dawni - don't leave that soap in the mould too long before cutting!
@Chris_S - funny story about the lost stick blade - ya ning-nong!

I cut my new slab-swirled soap in the evening - it was very wet and sticky due to the humidity ( yes I had gloves on!) but I think it's going to dry out OK. My sister ( my best and worst critic) thinks it look like vomit. She doesn't like a whole lotta contrasting colours together. But I do and it's MY soap. Will edit soon with a pic. I think I'll try bevelling all of these though.

What do u bevel with?

What do u bevel with?
Potato peeler - not as perfect as your bevelling. I do have a bevelling tool on the underside of my soap cutter but i haven't used it yet.

Tested a few bars that have been curing since somewhere in November. A different soap piece each time I need to wash my hands. So far they all feel nice, not drying at all after.

Yes - I have four different pieces of soap in my soap dish in the bathroom - and two different ones in the kitchen. :tub:

Last edited by a moderator:
Last night I beveled a few loaves of soap for my first release. Super cathartic! I'm currently trying to figure out packaging and I'm have severe soapers block!

Hi!
I have to wonder how long you have been soaping? You mention being new to the soaping community. If you do not have a year or so under your belt you are nowhere near ready to sell, which I am assume you mean by stating your first release. It takes a long time of testing before one is ready to sell. Maybe I have interpreted "being new to the soaping community," incorrectly.

I have more soap in my shower and at my sinks than I have ever had :) . I usually clean out the pots real good and mush into a small bar. I didn't do that with the very first bars I made so I am using a full bar with those. but mostly am giving away the bars and using scraps myself (something wrong here :) but I just cant waste it--I need to start saving more of that for some confetti soap

I have more soap in my shower and at my sinks than I have ever had :) . I usually clean out the pots real good and mush into a small bar. I didn't do that with the very first bars I made so I am using a full bar with those. but mostly am giving away the bars and using scraps myself (something wrong here :) but I just cant waste it--I need to start saving more of that for some confetti soap

Iv been keeping mine in an old sweet tub to store till i hace enough or can be bothered making a confetti soap. Iv hit the have enough point last night now i just need to find the can be bothered part.

@Dawni i loves me a good owd fondle and you know about thw paddle i wont name its purpose here.

Iv nothing planned today so im going to make at least 3-4 loaf batches today

Attachments

• 15489371139783522032764385226417.jpg
    15489371139783522032764385226417.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 13
Iv been keeping mine in an old sweet tub to store till i hace enough or can be bothered making a confetti soap. Iv hit the have enough point last night now i just need to find the can be bothered part.

@Dawni i loves me a good owd fondle and you know about thw paddle i wont name its purpose here.

confetti today? post pics :)

Cough.. I have no idea what you're talking bout.. Cough

Those shavings look like that confetti soap is gonna be purty! Do it soon lol we wanna see!

And looks like you're gonna be very busy tonight.. Can't imagine yet having the time to do 3-4 batches in one night lol

I still haven't received my lye so I rearranged my soaps.. Longest curing ones up front and new ones in the back. So far I've been successful in not fondling those too much........

Back