Pine Rosin Soap/Pine Tar Soap Disaster, Need Help.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapMakingTommy

Reaction score
Hey everyone so. I couldn't wait one or two more days to make my rosin soap so I decided I would do it today.
I calculated everything using the soap calculator and used the same recipe as my last just a slight variation.
I used pine rosin slightly different from pine tar, I'm hoping someone has had a similar proble, and is able to suggest some action to salvage what I have.

It seems the oils saponification quickly and for some reason there was separation and did not saponification correctly.
I only used 10% pine rosin for the recipe.
Is there a way I can hot process this or any idea what went wrong.
Much appreciate. Any help or reference.

O and for some reason not all the pine rosin even melted in the cooking pot there was a clump left over that seemed a little different from the original.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1390779117.641984.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1390779136.527050.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1390779155.554896.jpg

We'll just wanted to update , I figure everyone can learn from my mistake,
I am pretty sure I added the lye too quickly and the saponification reacted with the oils first and didn't emulsify the rosin as quickly.
So what I did was got the kitchen aid high powered hand mixer and mixed the heck out of it.
I only have one thing I don't like ATM and that is its consistency it's like a thick chocolate cream, is pretty airy.
It didn't pour into the mold I had to somewhat push and tug to get it in every corner.
I hope the cuts come out nice, Not a big deal if they don't. :)

Anyways I poured it into my molds with the final ingredients and viola smells like heaven.

Rosin is not a substitute for pine tar. But it's obvious you already know that.... :)

You may find the rosin soap rather drying to the skin. It was used at one time as a cheap filler for soaps intended for general household cleaning.

Rosin is not a substitute for pine tar. But it's obvious you already know that.... :)

You may find the rosin soap rather drying to the skin. It was used at one time as a cheap filler for soaps intended for general household cleaning.

Yea i did some research on the difference between rosin and pine tar, it was harder finding information on rosin tho.
I will eventually leave some feedback to how the soaps turn out, i will have to wait or them to be ready to use.
I never knew that they used rosin as cheap filler, its kind of funny cause for the prices i payed for my rosin its cheaper to buy the pine tar.

Wow am I surprised how these came out so far, They look and smell amazing, I really didn't expect them to come out this way considering how the batter was forming and how airy it was.
We'll it smells wonderful With a blend of Spruce Hemlock and Lemon to make this wonderful bar of pine rosin soap.
I just hope it lathers and nurtures my skin, I really think there will be a comparable difference.
I do hope it is not dry on the skin.

The insides of the soap are smooth and amazing, the only part that looks a bit messed up are the edges of the soap, I really don't mind it's what's in the pudding that counts. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1390823306.506480.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1390823335.770233.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1390823349.705191.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1390823370.596845.jpg

You'll have to let us know how they feel on the skin. Also, you may not want t use aluminum pans as they can react to the lye. I like how they look....nice job.

You'll have to let us know how they feel on the skin. Also, you may not want t use aluminum pans as they can react to the lye. I like how they look....nice job.

Yea most definitely will let you guys know how they feel.
Yea i know, no bueno on the aluminum pans, i had some left over batter and i wanted to make a sample bar and grabbed whatever i could find around.
I will be cutting off the sides of the bars that were exposed to the alumium.

I washed some more utensils today and there was a distinct lather that was slightly different then my last batch, I will try and update later on.

"...I never knew that they used rosin as cheap filler..."

Well, that's true ... but that was then and this is now. Rosin was once cheap due to the huge tracts of pine trees in the southern US (and elsewhere) that were being tapped for their sap from which rosin comes. And due to the cheap labor of the time that allowed such back breaking work to be done for pennies.

Pine sap is distilled to make turpentine. Rosin is the solid residue left over after the distillation. Here's more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turpentine

"...I never knew that they used rosin as cheap filler..."

Well, that's true ... but that was then and this is now. Rosin was once cheap due to the huge tracts of pine trees in the southern US (and elsewhere) that were being tapped for their sap from which rosin comes. And due to the cheap labor of the time that allowed such back breaking work to be done for pennies.

Pine sap is distilled to make turpentine. Rosin is the solid residue left over after the distillation. Here's more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turpentine

Wow this forum is full of information, im glad to be apart of the community to share and compare results.

I agree somewhat with you DeeAnna, From my understanding thats how turpentine is made from distillation of pine wood and pine sap. Rosin itself cant be extracted from pine tar, but pine tar is created from the high temperature carbonization of pine wood. Pine tar is not the same as rosin, rosin and pine tar do contain turpentine, pine rosin is just collected fro the scraping or the exuding sap from the tree. Rosin does not need any high temperatures to be collected and is no no means to be confused with pine tar.

Please correct me if i am wrong i am still a youngling and am still learning, i am open to hearing thoughts.

Last edited:
Back