Cp soap for laundry

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessrof

Reaction score
I want to make a soap specifically for laundry (and possibly other household uses). Would you do 100% coconut with no super fat? Or still add in a few other oils. I looked at the numbers on soap calc for a 50% coconut, 30% olive, and 20% crisp and the cleansing was above the recommended range. I am assuming the range is for skin use only. I don't want my clothes to wear out prematurely due to the soap. Ideas?

I would use 100% coconut oil with 0% super fat. The recommended ranges are for skin, you want high cleansing for laundry.

I would use 100% coconut oil with 0% super fat. The recommended ranges are for skin, you want high cleansing for laundry.

I agree...if you are a cheapskate like me you can use part lard or Great Value shortening (beef tallow and palm) along with the coconut oil and it will still work well.

No worries on it prematurely wearing out clothing. Even lye heavy is not a problem for anything except wool or silk. Excess alkali will damage these fibers.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Soap Making mobile app

I have heard that laundry soap should not make too many bobbles in the washing machine?
Is this true or not?
Does coconut oil need to be restricted for this reason?

Thank you.

I have heard that laundry soap should not make too many bobbles in the washing machine?
Is this true or not?
Does coconut oil need to be restricted for this reason?

Thank you.

I made my laundry bar with 0 or 1 % super fat with 100% coconut oil. It does not bubble much but lathers well. Apparently coconut is very good for a laundry bar because it can be drying in high percentages and does tend to suck the oils out of my hands when I use it for spot washing.

Latest posts

Back