film

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trinity

Reaction score
My LS finally looks pretty good after 3 days of working on it but I keep heating it for the paste to dissolve and a film keeps forming on top. I don't know weather that means I need to add more water or just skim it off but I don't really want to waste it if I don't have to. Any advice ????

TIA Deborah

My LS finally looks pretty good after 3 days of working on it but I keep heating it for the paste to dissolve and a film keeps forming on top. I don't know weather that means I need to add more water or just skim it off but I don't really want to waste it if I don't have to. Any advice ????
I wouldn't skim it off, but mix it back in.

In the meantime, skim a sample off and test it. See if it dissolves in water, primarily.

I wouldn't skim it off, but mix it back in.

In the meantime, skim a sample off and test it. See if it dissolves in water, primarily.

I have been trying to get it to dissolve since early this morning on low in the crock pot :( It does test clear in distilled water but milky in tap water. I just can't get that little bit of paste to dissolve.

Tap water contains minerals etc. so that is probably why it is cloudy. I would just skim it off if there is not very much.

A film or "skin" usually means you have not added enough distilled water to fully dilute your soap. Try adding a bit more distilled water in small amounts until you no longer have the skin floating on top.

Back