tomato paste

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruthie

Reaction score
I found a spiral notebook from when I first started soaping back in 2000. I wish I had taken better notes! I have ingredients listed, but not why or how they were added. And since I have slept a few times since then, I'm wondering, "why did I do that?" I see several that contained tomato paste. I know it can be used for a color, but does it have any other benefits? And how should it be added? If one adds water to it, then why use PASTE as opposed to SAUCE?

Hopefully seeing this notebook will prompt me to be more thorough with my new notes!

I've used tomato paste and it is lovely! It does seem to add to the conditioning as well as the lather. I take a couple of ounces off my water for the paste because it is paste and not full liquid I am not reducing the water by much. You should get SoapMaker 3 (if you don't already have it) because you make your notes right there in the batch records as well as add a photo to it.

OR another suggestion for notes that works great is Evernote.

Here is my system: I downloaded Evernote on my Mac and iPad & iPhone. It syncs with all devices. Evernote is also available for PC and Droid.

I use the Firefox browser and downloaded a plugin called Evernote Web Clipper. However, this add-on is available for other browsers, like Internet Explorer and Safari.

When I use SoapCalc to make a recipe, I click the Evernote Web Clipper button, and the page is saved in my Soap Notebook in Evernote.

I can add details in the Notes section, put in pictures, whatever I like. I have gone back in after doing a soap and noted when an FO accelerated or whether a bar seemed to take a long time to harden or if there was any discoloration or acceleration.

It's handy!

I found a spiral notebook from when I first started soaping back in 2000. I wish I had taken better notes! I have ingredients listed, but not why or how they were added. And since I have slept a few times since then, I'm wondering, "why did I do that?" I see several that contained tomato paste. I know it can be used for a color, but does it have any other benefits? And how should it be added? If one adds water to it, then why use PASTE as opposed to SAUCE?

Hopefully seeing this notebook will prompt me to be more thorough with my new notes!

You soooo sound like me! I always think I'm writing great notes until I go back to check something and that's always the part I left out :crazy:

OR another suggestion for notes that works great is Evernote.

Here is my system: I downloaded Evernote on my Mac and iPad & iPhone. It syncs with all devices. Evernote is also available for PC and Droid.

I use the Firefox browser and downloaded a plugin called Evernote Web Clipper. However, this add-on is available for other browsers, like Internet Explorer and Safari.

When I use SoapCalc to make a recipe, I click the Evernote Web Clipper button, and the page is saved in my Soap Notebook in Evernote.

I can add details in the Notes section, put in pictures, whatever I like. I have gone back in after doing a soap and noted when an FO accelerated or whether a bar seemed to take a long time to harden or if there was any discoloration or acceleration.

It's handy!

So does it syncs up my iPad ,phone and desk top?

Last edited:
With only computers, is there any advantage to Evernote over a blog? I only have a Blackberry for a phone and no ipad. I'd rather spend the $$ on soaping supplies! Guess I'll eventually have to upgrade so I can take credit cards at craft shows, but not yet.

Also, when and how do I add my tomato paste? I'm thinking about 2T mixed with 2T of sunflower oil after cook. Sound like it will work? 52 oz. oils in this batch of soap, BTW.....

To answer PepsiGirl's question, though Lindy already did, yes, it syncs with all your devices.

Ruthie, Evernote is free. The only advantage I can really see is that it is a little easier to track in that it works much more like a traditional notebook. It is also private, unlike a blog. Unless you want to share it, that is. You can put copyrighted things in it without fear of infringing someone else's copyright (pictures for inspiration, recipes, etc.).

By the way, anyone else has questions about Evernote, blogs, etc., my day-job is in technology integration in education. I help students and teachers use and integrate technology. Feel free to use me as a resource in that regard.

Ruthie from what I am seeing this is more for your information and the program is free. So for instance there was a video on You Tube that you wanted to be able to easily access again you can drag and drop into Evernote.

I am liking playing with it right now and can see the value to it.

I will just add that it's like using any other tech tool. You have to find the one you like, the one that does what you want it to do and works for what you want. Evernote works for me, although I also have a blog that has a different purpose. We are certainly living in an era when we can pick and choose from a variety of options.

To answer PepsiGirl's question, though Lindy already did, yes, it syncs with all your devices.

By the way, anyone else has questions about Evernote, blogs, etc., my day-job is in technology integration in education. I help students and teachers use and integrate technology. Feel free to use me as a resource in that regard.

Thank You And that is a very kind offer. You may be sorry:D

Update on the soap: First of all, I planned on mixing my tomato paste with sunflower oil. What was I thinking?!! Of course the 2 did not mix. But it mixed well with 2 T water. :smile:

Here is a photo of my soap. What causes the top to split? This is the 2nd batch I have had do this. Both have been CP, and it is something I've never seen happen in HP. This one had the water discounted 10% but the first one did not.

Thanks for the information on Evernote. I'm gonna go check it out as soon as I finish on the forum.

soap.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like it overheated in the center. I bet you'll cut to find a partial gel. Next time, try to force the gel so that doesn't happen. Post pics because I want to see the color. I was sure it would turn brown.

It looks like it overheated in the center. I bet you'll cut to find a partial gel. Next time, try to force the gel so that doesn't happen. Post pics because I want to see the color. I was sure it would turn brown.

Thanks! It is too soon to cut this one, but here is the other one that split. I thought it was gelled from the look of the top, but inside not so much. Maybe I got it in the fridge in time. I will post photos of the new one when it is cut.

BTW, love pit bulls, and thus your name. But since I am mom to 2 greys, a rotweiller mix and a scotty mix, we do not have any ourselves.

dec 12.jpg

It is overheating and forcing gel is not going to prevent it because you are increasing the heat. You could end up with a volcano instead of a crack. There are soaps that tend to crack and it would appear this one did it on you. One of the things you can do to try and prevent it is to soap at room temperature. It may, or may not, help...

Looks good though!

Latest posts

Back