aftershave lotion?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fiddletree

Reaction score
Hey all,
My husband has been asking me to make him an aftershave lotion. I make lotions for myself often, but I'm not sure what makes a particular lotion good as an aftershave. He wants it alcohol free and kind of runny, like the one he loves that he bought (I think it stinks to high heaven, though.... making one could also mean that I could make it less offensive to my nose!).

I know that witch hazel is often used in aftershaves, but mine has alcohol in it. I am assuming aloe juice is probably good, too. Beyond that, I don't really know. Should it be fast absorbing? Certain base oils used? Other additives that I can't think of?

Thanks! My nose and my husband's face will soon thank you as well :)

After shave lotion, after shave balm and after shave splash are 3 different products.

What I would recommend is to take a look at the ingredient list on the bottle he has that he likes and then see what ingredients you have, which ones you want to use and you'll probably come up with something he'll like better.

Bring that list back here and we can work on some ideas for it.

The one that he really liked (the super stinky one) he finished and threw out the bottle. I'll ask him about it and see if he remembers what it was. His current one, which he likes pretty well is "Nivea for Men After Shave Extra Soothing Balm". Although, from the ingredients it appears to be a lotion, not a balm, to my eyes. Has the consistency of a runny lotion, too Ingredients:

Water, Glycerin, Cyclopentasiloxane, Panthenol, Distarch Phosphate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Triceteareth 4 Phosphate, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Bisabolol, Propylene Glycol, Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract (Matricaria), Glycine Soja Oil (Soybean), Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Allantoin, Citric Acid, Ethoxydiglycol, Carbomer, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Fragrance.

Honestly, I don't know what some of the ingredients in there are, and am not so interested in making something like this as it seems to be overly full of chemical crap. I know his old shave lotion had aloe in it.

I was playing around on a spreadsheet and came up with this, that seems like it might work, although I don't really know what makes an aftershave lotion different from a normal face lotion. I know I want it to be soothing, absorb quickly, non irritating...but I don't know if there is something I'm missing.

Idea recipe:
water phase:
water 63%
aloe vera 10%
glycerin 2%
oil phase:
thistle oil 5.2%
sweet almond oil 5%
fractionated CO 5%
cetyl alcohol 3%
emulsifier 3.8%
cool down:
preservative 1%
Vit E 1%
EO blend 1%

should this be a good jumping off point? I'm somewhat new to lotion formulating (make thick creams for myself and friends often, but up to this point have followed recipes, and haven't made a runny lotion yet)

Because shaving irritates the skin there are two key ingredients in the ingredient list of the commercial list you should be using: Allantoin (healing and soothing) and I would be adding in Chamomile essential oil (also soothes and calms the skin).

The reason it's called a balm is because it does have some healing ingredients like the ones I mentioned.

The rest looks pretty good and remember you do want it thin....

HTH

Thanks! I always considered a balm to be something anhydrous (beeswax & OO, for example). But good to know the difference.

I looked up allantoin, and it appears to be something that is present in high concentrations in comfrey. I already have comfrey infused oils... could I use that instead?

Sorry to be asking so many questions about this! At what percentage should I use it, and where can I find it? I've looked on the websites of my normal (soap) suppliers and they don't carry it.

Also, something that occurred to me right after posting before. I'm thinking comfrey oil wouldn't be the best idea, because it shouldn't be used on broken skin, and sometimes guys nick themselves shaving. Am I correct on this?

Thanks!

Allantoin is used from .5% to 2%, I would use the lower % as recommended by the experts. Just google allantoin suppliers you might find who sells it in your area. Aloa vera also contains certain amounts of allantoin that is why is so healing for the skin. You can also try calendula infused oil which is a wound healer and anti-inflammatory

A very nice after shave balm

Hi, I was working around this for years, as a man I do understand I think pretty much everything about shaving and that sensation after shaving especially your neck area. I wanted something that calms down, takes the irritation away, prevents bumps and ingrows, heal minor cuts and looks good almost instantly... right because we have to leave for work shortly after shaving.... plus we don't want chemicals and toxins in our aftershave cream...
So, while I cannot give away my exact recipe I am sure you will work around the amounts... and you will see what you like, every man is different and will like more of this or that... so in order of amounts:
-olive oil
-jojoba
-wheat germ oil
-cocoa butter
-shea butter
-Vit E (full spectrum)
-Carrot seed oil
-Zinc Oxide (non-nano) about 18%-20%
According to your preferences or his prefs add essential oils like peppermint, tea tree, sage, pine, cedarwood, etc
I find peppermint refreshing in very very small amounts, tea tree will prevent any bacterial skin problems after shaving, sage will inhibit your face to be greasy and pine and cedarwood as ylang ylang are nice masculine fragrance....

Now if you liked and it works fine for you send me in return a good hair conditioner recipe...

Cheers
Armin

P.S.: I think you already noticed this is a wonderful cream not only after shaving but for a baby bum-bum too and it has a UVA and UVB protection factor of min 35. I made some and lab tested the SPF was 47.
Good luck.

oh, looks good! I have most of those ingredients, too. Is the Zinc Oxide just to give some sun protection or does it do something else? I'm thinking I won't put butters in as I don't want it to get too thick, but those oils look good.

My first aftershave lotion experiment was basically a fail. My husband is using it, and it works ok, but it's not what we were aiming for (takes too long to absorb, doesn't feel 'fresh' enough, got too thick, and apparently smells too 'girly'....but it feels nice!). It got kind of frothy looking, which I found to be kind of bizarre and I've never had that happen before. But then again, I've never tried making a runny lotion and I was experimenting, so who knows.

I just got the lotion ebook from swiftcraftmonkey, and it has a section on aftershave lotions. There are some ingredients I need to order to try the recipes out, but crossing my fingers to figure something out soon!

fiddletree said:
oh, looks good! I have most of those ingredients, too. Is the Zinc Oxide just to give some sun protection or does it do something else? I'm thinking I won't put butters in as I don't want it to get too thick, but those oils look good.

My first aftershave lotion experiment was basically a fail. My husband is using it, and it works ok, but it's not what we were aiming for (takes too long to absorb, doesn't feel 'fresh' enough, got too thick, and apparently smells too 'girly'....but it feels nice!). It got kind of frothy looking, which I found to be kind of bizarre and I've never had that happen before. But then again, I've never tried making a runny lotion and I was experimenting, so who knows.

I just got the lotion ebook from swiftcraftmonkey, and it has a section on aftershave lotions. There are some ingredients I need to order to try the recipes out, but crossing my fingers to figure something out soon!

He will love you for those butters, trust me... I know what I'm talking about... cocoa butter and shea butter on a freshly shaved skin is like a miracle from Heaven! Just aim for 3%-5% with those butters and you will be just fine. Zinc Oxide will calm irritation and give natural look to your skin which has all kind of red patches and micro cuts after shaving, that affects the protective barrier of the skin. Also will create that natural matte effect of a fresh clean face not a shiny "unwashed for days" lol. It covers after shave imperfections and patches.... instantly.
The consistency is as of a regular cream after shave, very easy to spread and quick absorbing... use a gram scale and play with proportions....

Thanks for your help! And the second I can come up with a good hair conditioner recipe I'll let you know... I have had only failures in that department so far. I'm putting that on the back burner for the moment until I can better research them.

Just another question... so you aren't using any water in this recipe? I was thinking of doing a lotion 75-80% water, although that doesn't leave tons of room for skin goodies.

fiddletree said:
Thanks for your help! And the second I can come up with a good hair conditioner recipe I'll let you know... I have had only failures in that department so far. I'm putting that on the back burner for the moment until I can better research them.

Just another question... so you aren't using any water in this recipe? I was thinking of doing a lotion 75-80% water, although that doesn't leave tons of room for skin goodies.

No water at all. It's very pleasant and if you are worry about that oily stickiness of non water cream... don't. Keep the beeswax under 7.5% and add the zinc to the warm oils. (this way you prevent a white film on the skin like other sunscreens).
I know what you mean by trying a conditioner recipe... it looks almost impossible without chemicals since the keratin is what you have to modify.... well, we'll see....
If you have any news please let me know....

Awesome! You rock!

At this point (and after many weeks of failed conditioner experiments that left my hair permanently oily), I am ready to try some chemicals to put in conditioner, because I've come to accept (the hard way) that there ain't no other way around it. Personally, I've substituted an ACV rinse for conditioner, and my hair is loving it, but it seems most people don't like the idea of putting vinegar in their hair....

Armin - Have you read swift's blog for hair conditioner recipes? I'm not 100% sure, but think the addy is www.swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com If that's not it, do a search on here and it'll come up for ya. I use the concentrate from wsp and add different things to it.. I've added jojoba, argan, cyclo.. It's really good stuff!

Back