perfect numbers for the perfect soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pure&simple

Reaction score
Using Soapcalc as a guide, what would you consider the perfect numbers for cleansing, conditioning, bubbly, creamy, etc. to make a perfect soap?

pure&simple said:
Using Soapcalc as a guide, what would you consider the perfect numbers for cleansing, conditioning, bubbly, creamy, etc. to make a perfect soap?

I don't know if there are any perfect numbers, but I can tell you I've been working on bringing my cleansing number down lately. I have it down to a 15 in my last few batches, but haven't tried it yet.
Hoping to cut down on that squeaky-clean feeling..guess I'm not that dirty, lol

Everybody has thier own perfect numbers. Trial and error till you get one you love is my best advice. Good luck.

I agree that we all kind of have the numbers we shoot for, especially after lots of trail and error. But I'd say look at what they recommend your range to be and shoot for that.

The only things I'd really keep in mind if it were me is to keep the cleansing down and your iodine down. From there, personal preference just kind of takes over. Keep in mind that SoapCalc isn't completely accurate when it comes to certain oils. For instance, the numbers for a castille are less than desireable but we know that castille is a luxuriously hard bar with the proper cure, and it does in fact have a cleansing factor.

Good luck! Just test it out!

Thanks guys, for the advice. BUT, it's so HARD for me to decide which soap is good. I've made about 15 batches so far and :shock: most of them feel nice to use. Even my SIL can't tell much of a difference between the soaps. That's not to say that my recipes are great, but what would you guys consider a good soap recipe? Low cleansing, high conditioning, etc.?

holly99, why should I keep the iodine down?

saltydog, is it possible to keep the cleansing number low and still have a soap that lathers well? I like a soap that lathers somewhat but I've notice for a soap to lather, the cleansing number is at leat 20. Or is it my imagination?

I agree that cleaning doesn;t have to be high, the human body usually is not that dirty, more cleansing value is for maybe dishes, laundry... etc?

there are many things to consider (besides what soapcalc says)
price of oils
alergies if have
quality
DOS
damage to enviroment from the soap
availability

more...

From the research that I've read, a high iodine number seems to contribute to DOS. I keep my iodine under 70 and haven't had any troubles. But other things contribute to DOS as well. However, if you put a 100% olive oil soap in SoapCalc, there that number goes to 85. So it's just tricky if you ask me!

I personally like to see cleansing numbers under 15. And conditioning at least up in the 60's somewhere. But your super fat is going to affect that cleansing as well. Take a salt bar for example: high %'s of coconut is used, but it's countered by a high super fat. It works in that situation though. I'm not sure I'd just have a high cleansing number and high super fat in a regular bar of soap. That's me though.

For lather, there are also so many factors to consider, even the water a person has when it comes to lather. I can have a bubbly factor of 22 in my soap and it bubbles like crazy for me, but I take it to my parents house and it's just down right lame. They have super hard well water. Some people like big, popping bubbles and other like a more lotion-like lather. You can also had sugar to help with the bubbles. 1 TBSP ppo diluted in your water before adding lye.

So really, it's just a ton of trial and error. It really is! Check those numbers on your soaps that you love, compare the differences in numbers, etc.

This is one of those things that is very subjective. A soap I think is very creamy and kind to the skin, my dry skin sister will think is too harsh and someone else may think there is not enough lather. :?

Try to find someone with dry skin to be a tester for you. I prefer less cleansing and more moisturizing before bubbly. To me bubbles aren't the important factor, most soap is going to bubble no matter what. Even the 100% or very high % OO soaps which won't bubble much in the first month or two will eventually be very bubbly.

You can't get too hung up on the numbers. They will never give you a "perfect" soap. They just guide you into the right neighborhood. There are several other factors at play that determine how a batch will turn out not to mention how different people like very different things.

I think of the "Cleansing" number in relation to the removal of good oils you can get from things like too much coconut oil. I honestly don't think of it in relation to how clean I might get. It's SOAP after all. So if a soap feels like it's too drying or itchy after I use it then I try to bring that number down.
Lowering that number can also result in lowering your lather so it's all about finding a balance you like.

thank you all for the tips and advice. I think I have to try all of my soaps at once and see if I can decide which one is the one for me... (and every one else) since I would like to sell some eventually. Wish me luck :D

I agree with everything mentioned above.. I don't really worry too much about those numbers, aside from the bubbles... I pay more attention to the iodine, palmitic, oleic and ins numbers. Iodine around 65, palmitic around 16, oleic in the 40's at least (I'm inclined to believe that linoleic number too high cause dos)

I understand what u mean that u have made 15 batches and can't choose what direction to go in to tweak them into your own. You seem to be most concerned with lather at the moment. In my opinion, any soap with lathering oils like coconut and castor, will lather nicely. All u have to do is not smother it with lather reducing additives.

Latest posts

Back