Buttermilk Oatmeal Honey Soap Questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangetree71

Reaction score
I've searched the forum and read lots of posts about making this soap, but I have several questions.

As I understand, you add 1 Tbsp PPO finely ground oatmeal and 1 Tbsp PPO warmed honey at trace.
That part I get. It's the buttermilk part I don't get.

1) Can I use buttermilk in any recipe or are there special considerations?

2) What % of water to buttermilk do I use?

3) When & how do I add the lye to the water & slushy frozen buttermilk?

I use buttermilk in replace of the liquid. You can do 1/2 wate 1/2 buttermilk, or all buttermilk, or really whatever combination you prefer.

Search this forum for info! Everything I'm going to tell you, I learned from reading everyone's posts ;)

You're totally correct on the ground oatmeal and honey @ trace. Though it is helpful if you sprinkle the oatmeal across the batter instead of dumping it in as a pile . . . I learned the hard way.

1. All my soaps are milk based. I think you can use milk in almost every recipe but you have to be careful it doesn't overheat and crack.
2. Whatever percentage you want! I use 100% Goat Milk and the soaps turn out so luxurious.
3. I've been using frozen GM chunks. I pour the lye over the chunks and stir, stir, stir with a stick blender or silicone spatula. It melts really fast!

If you do part lye and part buttermilk, I suggest adding the lye to the water first . . . then adding the buttermilk later.

Please correct me if I'm wrong experienced soapers!

I think you're going to love soaping with milk! I use goat and cow milk and it makes for a fabulous soap! Buttermilk makes great facial bars too because of the lactic acid/age defying properties!

Latest posts

Back