GM & Oatmeal Soap Questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lavender.dreams.candles

Reaction score
Hi, I'm going to make more goat milk soap and this time I want to add oatmeal... now I'm using quick cooking rolling oats (i have tons of this stuff and need to use it for something)... I am using this recipe..

11.31 coconut oil
28.29 palm oil
5.66 olive oil
7.62 water
7.62 gm canned
6.53 lye
3/4 cup oatmeal
3.0 fragrance oil (my choice is going to be Hazelnut Coffee)

does this sound right ???

Have you checked with soapcalc? This recipe is very low on conditioning and fluffly bubbles. Not something I'd consider using myself.

try to keep your coconut around 20 %, lower the palm and up the olive; then you'll end up with a pretty basic recipe. Just play around a bit; working with soapcalc is something you need to learn :wink:
also, I'd advise to start measuring in grams, as it is more accurate.

ok, I worked with the soap calc and came up with this....

11.31 coconut oil - 25%
14.14 palm oil - 31.2 %
19.80 olive oil - 43.8%
6.40 lye
7.47 water
7.46 goat milk
3/4 cup oatmeal
3.0 fragrance oil (my choice is going to be Hazelnut Coffee)

Now does this look better???.... this is at a 5% superfat

3092.gif
way better. I'd like to up the superfat to 7%

I'm still learning what oils to use more of and what to use less of....But, I still don't get the superfat %'s..... Also, what oils are better for bubbles/lather???.... is goat's milk soap good for a lather soap???
my first batch is creamy .... With this recipe will it be with bubbles/lather??

You want superfat cause it'll make up for the relative harshness of some oils, like coconut and palm kernal. You'll be 100% sure you won't end up with a lye heavy bar and it will feel better on your skin.
When you use higher percentages of coconut & PKO you up the superfat a little. You could even make a 100% coconut batch with 15-20% superfat.
You want to keep low with recipes that contain a lot of liquid oils, such as olive, or with oils that are prone to get rancid.

you might want to read this thread for info of some oils, it's very usefull
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forum/vi ... highlight=

Goatsmilk is supposed to add a certain silkyness and creamyness. But if you search you'll fiend threads about goatsmilk as an additive.

Latest posts

Back