~*~ SMF August 2017 Challenge - Rock and Gem Soaps! ~*~
~ Last Look At July Photo Entries~

Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Lye-Based Soap Forum > What soapy thing have you done today?

Old Today, 04:46 AM   #5981
Zany_in_CO
Saponifier

Liked 592 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 2434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapstars View Post
Sorry haven't got the hang of doing a quote yet!
Hiya Soapstars!

Just click on the "Quote" button in the lower right corner of the post box. Once the quote appears, you can edit it to show only the thing you're responding to.

Old Today, 05:10 AM   #5982
Zany_in_CO
Saponifier

Liked 592 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 2434

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyvernWench View Post
...My photo set up is very simple. I have two, white, full sized foam-core boards that you can pick up at Walmart for about $2 each.

I move my keyboard out of my way, then prop one foam-core board against my monitor. This lets the board rest at a slight angle.

The second board goes on the table and butts up against the bottom edge of the first board.

Then, since I happen to have lots and lots of freezer paper around the studio I pulled off a 5' long piece. I rolled the freezer paper so that it would lie flat when the matte side was up. I folded the top 4" edge over and lightly taped it to the top of the foam-core board that rests against the monitor.

Now the freezer paper can roll - gently curve - over the joint area of the two boards and lie flat on the front area of the desk board. This means I have a nice, clean, white background without any fold lines or board joints.

So next is just a fun look through the house to see what I could either put soap in, put soap in front of, or put around soap .... The soap and my props were set near the front edge of the table which pushes the background area into the deep area of the photo. This means I get nice soft shadows.

And here are a few of the results.
Excellent! Thanks for the photo shoot tips. Nice looking soapies too.

Old Today, 08:46 AM   #5983
Soapstars

Liked 51 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by keelsoaper View Post
Thank you WyvernWench and SunRiseArts! I just poured 2/3 of the original melted soap into a loaf mold then added black oxide to the remaining soap mixture to darken up the color. Still a novice and looking to learn lots on this forum!
Do these strong colours colour the bath or shower water please? I used some red oxide when I was trying to make a watermelon soap and used a bit too much I think as the shower water was terracotta/reddish which looked faintly disturbing until I realised it was from the soap!

Now I use minimal colours to avoid it happening again. Or is it a different kind of colouring you all use when doing these wonderful strongly coloured swirls?
Old Today, 01:04 PM   #5984
earlene
Grandmother & Soaper
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2092 Times on 1049 Posts
Likes Given: 1641

Quote:
Do these strong colours colour the bath or shower water please? I used some red oxide when I was trying to make a watermelon soap and used a bit too much I think as the shower water was terracotta/reddish which looked faintly disturbing until I realised it was from the soap!

Now I use minimal colours to avoid it happening again. Or is it a different kind of colouring you all use when doing these wonderful strongly coloured swirls?
I think the red oxide I have is pretty strong as well. Mine is from BB called Brick Red Oxide and makes a very dark red. But as you mention, the darker the soap, the darker the bubbles/lather. So far I have not used a mica that discolors like that, but that's not saying it doesn't happen.

Old Today, 01:25 PM   #5985
divinegoddessoaps17

Liked 100 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Default Bold Colors!

Made this soap yesterday and cut it this morning. First time I've used such bold colors. I'm pretty pleased with it. I used mica colors and Deadly Weapon FO from Natures Garden.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fire3.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	25662   Click image for larger version

Name:	fire1.jpg
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	25663   Click image for larger version

Name:	fire.jpg
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	25664  

Old Today, 01:34 PM   #5986
WyvernWench

Liked 124 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:

I don't know yet, KeelSoaper! We will both discover how the colors behave after the soap has it's four week curing.

The micas that I use are from Nuture Soap and so far I have not had any bleeding from the colors. But this is the first time that I have used their Neon line ... so I really can't say until it is far enough along to take to the sink.

I have had bleeding from some of the natural colorants - cocoa powder and turmeric. But that was when I dusted the top with a line or accent.

Old Today, 01:35 PM   #5987
WyvernWench

Liked 124 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinegoddessoaps17 View Post
Made this soap yesterday and cut it this morning. First time I've used such bold colors. I'm pretty pleased with it. I used mica colors and Deadly Weapon FO from Natures Garden.
OH! Geez-zoo-flip!!! That is gorgeous!!!! What a smile that one is.
divinegoddessoaps17 Likes This 
Old Today, 02:02 PM   #5988
divinegoddessoaps17

Liked 100 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyvernWench View Post
OH! Geez-zoo-flip!!! That is gorgeous!!!! What a smile that one is.
I didn't want to "toot" my horn - but I went nutz this morning when I cut it! wow, wow wow.