Soap bag, bad idea?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My mom made something similar but I found they didn't dry out well enough quick enough and made the soap soft. She used 100% Cotton and tried acrylic yarns too.

That's exactly why I gave up on crocheting bags. I have some pretty bags. They just don't let the soap dry. I used both regular and mercerized cotton. I did not try bamboo, as the price was prohibitive.

I think a net bag is a great idea. You would get lots of suds and the soap could dry off quickly.

I think a net bag is a great idea. You would get lots of suds and the soap could dry off quickly.

I agree but the soap savers are free for customers who spend over 25 at my booth and it seems to work ;))
Crochet is awesome to keep the fingers flexible :))

Ok, here's some info on mesh bags for lazybones like me. But still you have to use a string to close the top opening like Susie did.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32466...bag-Floor-drain-kitchen-sink-strainer-prevent

Or find it in Daiso the Japanese dollar store. I guess in the US maybe you'll have a hard time finding these. As seems like every home has a kitchen sink waste " blender" type of thing to purée food waste.

In Asia these bags are also used to wrap around tiny fruits.

ETA: uh, remember to turn it inside out, so the seal won't scratch on your skin.

Last edited:
I make my soap saver bags from those bath poufs you can get everywhere for about $1. Each one makes about 6 bags using doubled over mesh. Just take them apart and use the resulting tube, double it over, put the string at the folded end, use a lighter to seal the other end. Takes me about 5 minutes each.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MLPXX4C/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Things got a little busy around here when I posted this, but I just wanted to let you know that I finally got around to making the bag from the poufs and tried one out tonight and it works great! The soap bar that I used was a batch I'm not real crazy about because it doesn't lather well (I am out of all my other soap, and waiting for new ones to cure), but using it in the bag made a huge difference, so I can't wait to try it with my normally good sudsing soap. Thanks again for the idea!

Last edited by a moderator:
A few years ago, a friend's daughter sent her soaps in net bags -- just like that -- that she bought in NYC. She gave one to me. That soap lathered like a mad dog!

A few years ago, a friend's daughter sent her soaps in net bags -- just like that -- that she bought in NYC. She gave one to me. That soap lathered like a mad dog!

I was really impressed with the lather I got. This particular batch was not a good latherer at all and I would have to work with it a long time to get suds. But, once it was in the bag and I used it, it actually lathered really, really well. I was super happy with it and plan on using these from now on. They were so easy to make and only took a few minutes, not to mention they were super cheap to make!

Brilliant. One of my daughters gave me a felting kit last Christmas. I made a few things, but now the roving and little needles are sitting in a cubby. Felted soap would be wonderful way to use up the last of the roving. Do you use the needles or just hot then cold water? (sorry to camp on OP)

No needles needed! I just put the rovings over the soap and dip in hot water and rub it all over! We raised alpacas at the time and their fleece was awesome!

Back