Fragrance Oil Review Chart Link

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8 years

200 is really high to soap. I don't take my soapy temps ever...but I feel the outside of my stainless steel bowls. Safe to touch and softly warm from the outside means safe to blend for me. 200 is smokin. I'd pull back to soaping at 80-120 degrees if you're newly starting out, and or taking temps. All recommendations are normally in the 80-120 range. What made you soap so high? You run the risk of a lye volcano at 200 degrees F I fear...

however this one fragrance is
IN HP is lovely. 2 months and scent stick well.

I was at the 130 range. everything went well until i added this Forsaken scent. this is my down fall the first time i was at 100 both oil and lye :(
My kids love it. I normally wait to both are room temp also then if i need to i heat the bowl up with hot water to speed things up SMH. this is the second time i use this scent. SMH.

also did i mention the batter was taking its time to trace at 130 TILL THE fragrance. Im giving this fragrance on last shot at room temp. if it does it again hence it the darn FO that it. it will just have to stay with my lotions body butter and body wash. nay for the soap.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why you would need to ever reheat anything up, cooler the better unless you have hard oils clumping up, but have you tried adding your fo to your oils before you add your lye water? If you aren't doing anything crazy you can just blend and pour. Saves me a lot of headache.

No I have always waited till trace. I do add my TD or half of my buttermilks juice etc the oil first then add the lye. I will try adding the FO to the batter first. was not sure if it would kill the scent :D ..
Thank for the advice. will give this FO another try tomorrow.

Temperature will be important, a low flash point fo/eo will burn off if your oils are to warm so wait till oils are room temp before you add the fragrance, blend well, then add your lye water. I hope that helps!

Flash point is just the temperature at which a fragrance or essential oil gives off enough vapor to be ignited. It doesn't necessarily correspond to volatility or acceleration when added to a soap batch. The ingredients used in manufacturing would have more effect. When I have a temperamental FO/EO, I soap at a cooler temp or just HP the batch.

shunt2011 shared a good description about flash point.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showpost.php?p=468638&postcount=2

Missing reviews

Does anyone know why so many FO reviews are missing from the chart? Especially from WSP section. I read this chart almost daily and all the sudden Poof half is gone!
Thanks.

Since it's open for anyone to update it, someone could have accidentally deleted posts. I checked to see if I had a back-up on my personal drive, but I don't have one. :(

I'll try to remember to take a back-up once a week. I don't want to lose everyone's reviews.

Yes it goes to 69 but there is a lot missing before that. Like 2,3,4 are gone. 6, 10, 11 are gone and so on... I don't know how to save a copy of it or I would.

I see what you mean. I didn't even realize a lot were missing. I just scrolled down to see the final count. This is very strange. I looked at some others and saw Nature's Garden also had some missing. The only thing I can think of is someone deliberately deleted them. Perhaps whoever did the reviews decided to remove them for some reason?

eta: Click on "File", scroll down to "Download As" and then choose which format you want to save to your computer. I tested this and it worked. Maybe someone had saved it before the deletions were done and could fill in the missing info.

I went back and added some of mine that I was pretty sure I had on there before. I don't understand what someone could gain by deleting reviews.

I went back and added some of mine that I was pretty sure I had on there before. I don't understand what someone could gain by deleting reviews.

I am not saying this is what happened, but the only ones who would 'gain' from such deletion would be the manufacturers and distributors, if the reviews were negative...none of mine were erased so if you remember what you wrote, can you confirm if they were negative reviews?

Now, just because they would benefit from such deletion, does not mean they did. I think it is more likely they were erased by accident, by someone not so familiar with spread sheets. However, if they are deleted sporadically, and they happen to all be negative...well....?

I will not be using this resource as I am switching to 100% essential oils, but I have a few more to contribute, mainly from Camden Grey. I will wait until someone confirms that they are backed up.

My Sugared Spruce review was very positive (it's one of my favorite FOs).

green soap said:
I think it is more likely they were erased by accident, by someone not so familiar with spread sheets.

That would make sense to me.

IrishLass :)

Thank you, jules!

I'm sure you all are correct that it wasn't intentional. I just wondered because I was looking for a specific name and couldn't find her reviews. I just wondered if she had deleted them. I don't remember how many she had but I know it was quite a few. I was also wondering how one person could delete so many accidentally. Sorry people - I'm just a cynical person.

Latest posts

Back