Fragrance Oil Review Chart Link

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for that new page, DeeAnna. It's a great way to search for a review by a specific member. I have thought of looking for an FO mentioned by someone here, but wasn't sure how to find it on the SMF FO Review spreadsheet. This is wonderful!

Thank you for that new page, DeeAnna. It's a great way to search for a review by a specific member. I have thought of looking for an FO mentioned by someone here, but wasn't sure how to find it on the SMF FO Review spreadsheet. This is wonderful!
I'm glad it will be helpful to you, Earlene. Sorting by alphabetical order won't be too helpful if you want to use this kind of search to find an FO named "Vanilla Almond Crunch" (to make up a name out of thin air). In that case, you'd want to use a filter instead, which is a little trickier for novices.

It's a bit of a pain to keep a master list of all FOs by all companies and also have separate sheets for each company. Until I figure out a way to make the master list easier to use by spreadsheet novices, I'll stick with the current system.

I apologize if this has been discussed (I looked back and didn’t see anything), but Nurture has had to rename virtually all of their dupes over the past six months. Some of the reviews I posted feature names that Nurture no longer uses. For example “Avobath” is now called “Awaken”. Thankfully, Nurture will provide a key to help you find your old favorites and some of the scent descriptions will say “Compare to _____” which can help locate a specific scent.

I don't recall this has been discussed before. Even if it has, no apologies required.

There are about 50 reviews currently for Nurture. If you or anyone else have updates to the FO names, please let me know. A post in this thread would work fine for this kind of update or send me a PM or email.

As I've mentioned before, I encourage everyone who uses the FO Review to contribute a little bit to keep the info reasonably up-to-date. If you see something that needs to be updated or corrected, please help out. That way no one gets burned out or feels overwhelmed.

I was able to view the spreadsheet yesterday, but today it only gives me this and the first link does not open the reviews like it did yesterday. It only gives me this:

SMF FO Review link.JPG

Is it under construction and making it inaccessible for that reason? If so, please ignore the above.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I apologize if this has been discussed (I looked back and didn’t see anything), but Nurture has had to rename virtually all of their dupes over the past six months. Some of the reviews I posted feature names that Nurture no longer uses. For example “Avobath” is now called “Awaken”. Thankfully, Nurture will provide a key to help you find your old favorites and some of the scent descriptions will say “Compare to _____” which can help locate a specific scent.

It is an interesting point. I do wonder if they were re-named because they were re-formulated? And if re-formulated, did/would/could that change how the FO behaves in soap? I would think, possibly in some cases, perhaps. And also, if re-formulated, would/could/did that change the over-all characteristics of the FO? I know I have read that dupes by different companies don't all live up to the original, so would expect something like that is possible with re-formulation also.

Still, it would be a nice addition to the spreadsheet, to have the old name and new name if one exists.

I was able to view the spreadsheet yesterday, but today it only gives me this and the first link does not open the reviews like it did yesterday.

Yes, that's the correct page you should see when you open the FO Review if you use the links I have been providing. It shouldn't matter whether the links are goo.gl or tinyURL shorthand URLs or the full-length URLs -- my goal is to get people to land on this particular overview sheet as the first thing they see when they open the FO Review. If you have used your own saved bookmark in the past, you might have ended up on another sheet, however.

Image1.jpg

Some tips:

The URLs on this overview sheet don't work if you just click on them directly. If you hover over them with your cursor, a clickable link appears in a little balloon above your cursor. Click on the link in the balloon to go to the URL (middle arrow in my image). This is just how Google Sheets work -- I've had to get used to it too.

The way to see the reviews for various companies is to click on the tabs at the bottom of the sheet (lower left arrow). If you don't see the tab for the company you want to check, use the right and left triangles at the lower right corner (lower right arrow) to slide sideways as needed.

The Review is normally supposed to be in "view" mode only (upper arrow). All that means is you can't make permanent changes to the sheet. But you can still do a lot -- you can sort, filter, print, save, and view the Review as you like; it's just that any changes you make won't be saved.

Last edited:
Dixie -- Sure, I can do that. Thanks for the suggestion!

30 april 2018 -- forms have been updated to put "lip balm" as a separate selection

Last edited:
March and April 2018 updates to the SMF FO Review --

I have added tips on using the FO Review that may be helpful for users unfamiliar with Google Sheets.

FO reviews added by users:

Bramble Berry Pineapple Cilantro
Bitter Creek Candle Supply Inc. Sandalwood
Eroma (Australia) Sand Swept Peach
Majestic Mountain Sage Forks
New Directions Aromatics (US, Canada) Rose Garden

Nurture Soap Supplies 8th and Ocean
Nurture Soap Supplies Caramel Coffee
Nurture Soap Supplies All Souls Day (Day of the Dead)
Nurture Soap Supplies Awaken (Avobath Type)
Nurture Soap Supplies Obsidian

Wholesale Supplies Plus Coconut Orange Cardamom
Wholesale Supplies Plus Apple Brown Sugar
Wholesale Supplies Plus Apricot Honey
Wholesale Supplies Plus Barber Shoppe

FO reviews updated by users:
Bitter Creek Candle Supply Inc. Sandalwood

Suppliers added by users and by me:
Bitter Creek Candle Supply Inc.
I have also manually added suppliers in Latvia, Poland, Italy, Austria, and Denmark.

upload_2018-5-10_16-31-15.png

DeeAnna, can you check the submissions for the BCN Sandalwood reviews? I submitted two of them - one for Sandalwood, and one for Sandalwood (BCS Original). These are two different fragrance oils, but when I go to the All Reviews NEW tab, they look like this:
upload_2018-5-10_16-34-24.png

ETA: I may have screwed up the FO names, but please verify :) I haven't been in my right mind the last two weeks.

Also, I accidentally flipped some of my review notes around, so I'll go back through the posts here (or the directions on the spreadsheet) to find out how to edit my reviews once the FO names are corrected.

@amd -- Can you help me out a bit? I got two "new" reviews from you for BCN Sandalwood. I thought since the names were identical, you intended the second to be an update to the first, so that's how I handled the information when I updated the BCN sheet.

I meant to go back to the All Reviews sheet and do likewise, but obviously missed getting that done -- thanks for catching the difference. To explain, I now have to manually add reviews to the All Reviews sheet as well as add them to the company's sheet. I get a little confused from time to time, especially if DH or the dogs are underfoot or the phone rings. :confused:

Anyways, I'll fix whichever sheet that isn't correct -- lemme know which one, please. Thanks!

I get confused from time to time - and doing the reviews for these was confusing for me too! I think I was the one that messed them up - rereading what is in the review sheet, I think I did the same review twice (kind of). I've been putting my FO reviews into a notebook and I think I crossed my lines up. (Further proof that I cannot multi-task. No more watching TV and doing FO reviews at the same time!)

So, let's correct the Sandalwood and I'll do a new review for the Sandal (BCS Original). To verify each column:
Fragrance (correct)
Who will like it (correct)
Type of fragrance (correct)
OOB: use "strong woodsy and perfume scent"
Final Scent: (correct)
How much scent: (correct)
Strong? Sticks? (correct)
A/R/S: (correct)
discoloration: (correct)
Use again: Use second comment "pleasant sandalwood smell and attractive perfume smell"

Thanks so much for doing the review charts for us. It is such a valuable tool for me (my pocketbook isn't a fan though...)

There is now only one BCN "Sandalwood" review with updates per the previous post. Thanks for helping me out.

May 2018 updates to the SMF Fragrance Oil Review --

New reviews --
Bitter Creek North Almond Cherry
Bitter Creek North Cupid (Bubbles and Lights)
Bitter Creek North Funnel Cake
Bitter Creek North Crushed Ginger
Bitter Creek North Drakkar Type
Bitter Creek North Log Cabin
California Candle Supply Volcano (type)
Candle Makers Store Sweet Pea

Updated reviews --
California Candle Supply Lemongrass

There are over 1500 reviews in the database, which was started in 2010. About 6.4% of these reviews have been added or updated since July of last year. THANK YOU!

June - August 2018 updates to the SMF Fragrance Oil Review --

New reviews --
Aztec Candle and Soap Fresh Cut Christmas Tree
Soap Supplies Oatmeal Milk & Honey
New Directions Aromatics Sweet Pink Sugar
Nature's Garden Cranberry Orange
Rustic Escentuals Oatmeal Milk & Honey
Rustic Escentuals Winter Linen
Rustic Escentuals Irish Tweed
Rustic Escentuals honeysuckle
Rustic Escentuals Flannel Sheets
Rustic Escentuals Sweet Pea​

Updated reviews --
Majestic Mountain Sage Forks​

Supplier adds --
Lone Star Candle Supply​

@DeeAnna Can I update that post on NG Orange Cranberry ? Seems that it needs a LONG cure and then it comes out. Mine didn't start to come out to my noise till 2+ months cure.
I still won't buy it again but it is coming out.
I mixed it with Fireplace and slowly it is changing the scent every week as it cures.

@Lin19687 -- Sure -- can do. Do you maybe want me to add what you said in your last post (217) to the "comments and updates" section in your review? I'd copy and paste your post starting with the second sentence through the end.

Thanks for adding Lone Star Candle Supply! I am waiting to post until I start testing bars, but so far the FOs have behaved as expected. Some mild acceleration on a couple of florals, one super speedy "plop and pray" on one floral that got an ice water soak to stop the volcano. I need somewhere to record all my findings so I can refer back to it.

Latest posts

Back