Discoloring FO's and dye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm planning on a pastel colored batch but the FO I will be using discolors to a medium brown. Will I still be able to do pastel colors or should I go for more vivid to keep the brown from showing? Will it helps at all to use TD in the whole batch before adding the other colors?
I will be using oxides, red #33 and maybe some annatto. It will be a rainbow in the pot swirl.

You can see a picture of the discolor here.
http://www.brambleberry.com/Sugared-Fruit-Surplus-Fragrance-Oil-P5785.aspx

I haven't had any luck disguising brown discoloration with colorants. I would pick a different FO.

I totally agree with Marilyna, you are not going to disguise the brown. Enough TD will help keep it lighter but you will risk having your soap crackle with using a lot of TD. I usually seperate out some add TD and swirl it in with the rest of the batter I know will go brown.

Thats really disappointing, now I don't know if I should give up the color or the scent. I'm making a small batch of egg shaped soap so pastels would look good but I don't have any other scents that would work.
I wonder if I could do a orange color, that might work ok with the brown and some lighter swirls. I doubt this mold will gel so I'm not worried about TD crackle.

I haven't had any luck either in coloring over discoloring FO's. What I've done is only add the FO to part of the batter and use other color(s) in the remaining batter to swirl with. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like tan/brown will go with your pastel theme though.

Latest posts

Back