Interesting Soap results

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandelion

Reaction score
Everytime I try to make over 120 oz of soap at a time I have an epic failure. Imagine the first batch palm, peanut oil, cocoa butter castor and coconut. I add 1/2 teaspoon of td and i/2 bottle of tkb neon yellow, fresh mashed avocado and coconut milk. I get the most brilliant creamy white soap I've ever made. No over heating and almost no trace of the mashed avocado.

I then wanted to make a totally experimental bar, last year I made a 100% soy bar that took ages to cure (at least 4-6 months to harden) but it was sudsy and well liked. So I used 8 oz shortning, 51 oz soy, 6 oz pko and 7 oz castor. I added 1/2 tsp td and glitter bordeaux made from mica and iron oxide 1/2 tsp.

This mica from tkb has given me trouble before, I tried to create a bright red vein, which it did but the soap was brittle that contained the mica.

So I add the lye and whammo, instant cement, the soap batter became crumbles, looking exactly like dirt. I hp'ed the mess and it looked exactly like finely ground beef. Got the mess in a mold, and i have a spammy/brick like very UGLy soap. What I am surprised at is that the soap is rock hard today.

I hear ya, dandelion- I seem to have bad luck with big batches.

Just a couple of thoughts-
on the mica- could you have too much mica/batter- that might make it crumbly.
What about fragrance? I have had a few of them turn a batch into crumbles.

I have had 4 batches go bad for one reason or another this winter. Thankfully, they were small.
Hope the soap fairies start smiling again soon :wink:

Latest posts

Back