Micro Scale Recommendations?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm on the hunt for a new micro scale for b&b applications (not bar soap). Been using hubby's, but its too small to be of much use.

Some features I want:

-Precision to at least 0.1 gram; it also needs to display in grains​

-Reasonably high upper limit so it doesn't max out from whatever container I'm pouring into, or the cumulative addition of other ingredients. 500 g just doesn't cut it.
-Large, backlit display (my eyes are old, lol)​
-Platform large enough to see the display when the receiving container is on top of it
-The ability to disable the auto-off feature, or attach a power supply cord​

I think that's it -- unless you know of other sweet features that I shouldn't have to live without. TIA.

I got this one to mix my own e-liquid for vaping, its well regarded and does everything you need I think, except for grains - not sure about that.
I now use it for B&B stuff too, and am quite happy with it. Though it is small so may not have the large platform you want. I have the 501 and it did come with a power adapter, though I dont see it mentioned on the description.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UGBG20/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I had this one:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/281731124561?_mwBanner=1

And I looooved it. Until one of my students stole it after a lab day and I never got it back. :(

I love the 0.1 g increments and the 3000 g capacity which is a pretty significant amount. It came to me working well and seemed accurate to the gram. I checked it with nickels.

Edit: the only thing I didn't like is how small it was sometimes it was hard to read the weight since the container would cover it.

It's just a little smaller than half a sheet of paper. It was really nice and light though!

Last edited:
Galaxy, that sucks someone stole your scale - especially a student!

That model has been on my short list with its 3000 g capacity. I'm glad to know you liked. Did you think it weighed pretty accurately to the tenth gram? A review I read said it's better for the half gram even though it's rated better, that's why I'm asking.

Seawolfe - It appears the 3000 g model does measure grains and comes with an adaptor. It may be relatively small but the tilted display might help with readability even with big items. I wasn't aware of this one previously, but it's on my short list now!

GeezLouise - that one is pretty similar to the one we have now. It is great for measuring really small items but I've had a hard time finding containers small enough to fit the platform but large enough to fit the product I'm weighing - especially if I am adding items cumulatively. I think it would work great for my husband's reloading tho, and since he lost the battery cover on his current scale I just might get it for him.

Thanks for all the input so far, it's much appreciated.

Seawolfe - It appears the 3000 g model does measure grains and comes with an adaptor. It may be relatively small but the tilted display might help with readability even with big items. I wasn't aware of this one previously, but it's on my short list now!

The tilt makes it easier, and I like that the weigh platform is above the readout. Ive never had an issue reading it with my cups and jars and bowls, but its my small scale - so I don't put larger things on it. I can read it with my pyrex 4 cupper on it, if that helps.

Thanks Carolyn. That one looks even more precise -- down to 0.01 g. That would be nice for some applications, actually.

Is the platform about 4" x 4"? The description doesn't say. Do you use the included measuring trays often for b&b ingredients, or if not, what kind of containers do you use? I had a hard time finding something in my cupboards when I made the IL creamy LS recipe, that's why I'm asking. I found myself just wanting to add the really minor ingredients directly to the bulkier ingredients, but cumulatively they were too heavy and/or bulky for my small scale.

Back