Making my own molds....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

studioalamode

Reaction score
Well, here's my first attempt at making my own molds. I had some molding putty left over from some PMC projects and thought I would give it a try.

The first pics are from the mold of the top of one of my salt & peppers from my S & P collection... I had to plug the holes before I made the mold, however.

1001446m.jpg

1001444.jpg

This one is from a figurine my grandmother gave me for Christmas when I was about 7 years old. I have always loved this figurine, and some of the chat on the forum here got me to thinking about molds... of course this was the first one I made because the figurine is so special to me. There are some issues with the mold, a few wrinkles that I will have to remove with a smooth knife, but I think it is pretty representative of the figurine when all is said and done. Had I not read about making your own molds on the forum here, I wouldn't have even though of this, to THANK YOU to all!

1001441y.jpg

1001445u.jpg

The putty I used was "Amazing Mold Putty" and I got it at Hobby Lobby about three or four years ago (so obviously, it has some shelf life).

Kneading time for clay is about 3-4 minutes... setting time is 20-25 minutes. I was ready to make my first soap from these molds within 30 minutes of getting started.

Post note: I tried to make the petals look delicate on the yellow and white one, and in hindsight, especially in the photos, it looks somewhat like a fried egg. :oops: I think I will do something to make the petals more defined next time.

What a great idea! I see how you made the fried egg one....(hee...just kidding) but how did you do the praying little girl? two separate sides or.....what?

Great job!

x

:D that's terriffic!!! :D

every so often the subject has been brought up, but no one's taken the plunge.

is this latex based?

thanks ever so much for posting! :D

is this latex based?

I don't have the inside packaging any more, but the box says for detailed into go to www.amazingmoldputty.com The box does say it is food safe, non toxic, and approved under FDA.

but how did you do the praying little girl? two separate sides or.....what?
. I hate to admit this, but the original mold looked quite obscene because I just molded the whole thing around the girl with the opening at the bottom. (Both of the men in my house said, WHAT IS THAT!!!) Then when it was done, I carefully cut the putty with scissors about halfway up and carefully removed the girl so as not to tear the putty. Then to use it you put rubber bands around to hold it. I had to put it in a jelly jar to hold it steady because her head didn't have a flat part. Still with all this explanation, it really was quite simple!

studioalamode said:
I hate to admit this, but the original mold looked quite obscene because I just molded the whole thing around the girl with the opening at the bottom. (Both of the men in my house said, WHAT IS THAT!!!) Then when it was done, I carefully cut the putty with scissors about halfway up and carefully removed the girl so as not to tear the putty. Then to use it you put rubber bands around to hold it. I had to put it in a jelly jar to hold it steady because her head didn't have a flat part. Still with all this explanation, it really was quite simple!

LOL!!! Well, it looks great!

Now I'm looking at all my S & P's and thinking... would that make cute soap if I plugged the holes? I have a really neat set with a cat (the salt) sleeping on a chair (the pepper). I'm thinking that could be a really cute soap set. Hmmmm. pretty much some new possibilities here.

studioalamode, I love the little girl praying, she is precious. You did really well. I wonder if we have that kind of mould making stuff here in aussie, I will have to go have a scout around and see what I can find.

Great work! Are the molds durable enough that you can use them over and over again?

Yes, very durable. They are stiffer than silicon, but still flexible, kind of like rubber. I think as long as you were somewhat careful, you could use them pretty much indefinitely.

I wonder if we have that kind of mould making stuff here in aussie, I will have to go have a scout around and see what I can find.

Let me know if you can't find it. I'll see if its still available here. Like I said, I bought it three or four years ago. I haven't checked that website, but maybe it has information, too.

How do you think it would work if you molded the outside of something rectangular to make a loaf mold? Would I be able to put CP soap in it and then would it be removable? thanks!

I just went to the website and it looks a little pricey! It would be nice to make a mold for 3 or 4 bars for testing purposes.

Milla said:
How do you think it would work if you molded the outside of something rectangular to make a loaf mold? Would I be able to put CP soap in it and then would it be removable? thanks!

I just went to the website and it looks a little pricey! It would be nice to make a mold for 3 or 4 bars for testing purposes.

i use a mini loaf pan set for test size/ small bars. they each hold 5 oz and there are 4 in one. maybe that would work?

Those are gorgeous , what a great idea, you rock . Love them .Another idea to add to the list :wink:

studioalamode said:
Post note: I tried to make the petals look delicate on the yellow and white one, and in hindsight, especially in the photos, it looks somewhat like a fried egg. :oops: I think I will do something to make the petals more defined next time.

My first impression was a daisy, not a fried egg. But as long as you're cooking I'll take mine over medium. :lol:

I just went to the website and it looks a little pricey!

From a molding standpoint, I think it would work fine. I don't know anything about CP soap, though.

Regarding price, these were made from probably a half of the original amount. The box of mold putty was about $19.99 at full price; with a coupon, you could probably get at least 40% off. After looking at the price of actual silicone molds, I have seen some of them go for $20-25 (basic) and even higher for fancy molds. Judging that I got seven small pendant size molds from the first half of the box (ie, personalized soap size), I'm thinking that in the long-run, this isn't that costly. Plus no shipping costs! (Which is always a killer when buying molds on line).

Anyway, that's my cost justification... plus I just thought it was fun to make my own because I can do unusual objects. :D :D :D

Latest posts

Back