Vanilla Color Stabilizer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusti

Reaction score
I've never used it before, but got the Fruit Loops fragrance from WSP and read that it discolored a little bit and thought I would try a new adventure and ordered the stabilizer to try. Normally I don't mind discoloration - I end up just not coloring the soap and letting it turn whatever color it wants if the warning is there, but I have some glow in the dark skin safe pigment and I wanted to try some bright colors for stocking stuffer soap for the niece and nephews (and one child-like great uncle).

Y'all, is the stabilizer *supposed* to turn the fragrance to mushy goop? I mean, I used it anyway because everything was already laid out and I didn't have any extra of the fragrance to use instead. So far so good, it didn't seem to harm the batter in any way, but I'll admit to being completely thrown when I picked up the little shotglass I weigh my FO into and had to spoon the contents out.

Last edited:
Problem with stabilizer is it will not stop the discoloration for long. If I recall it is used 50/50 with the fragrance. The thickness might depend on the FO. I remember it never did that to my daughters when she was still working with m&p. I am sure it will be fine if you were able to mix it in well. Kinda funny you mentioned it because I am a great one for saying save your money on stabilizer and here I am thinking about trying some in a batch I am getting ready to make, hoping it will keep it until Christmas, in a Cranberry Fig from WSP. I keep trying to use up my daughters supplies

Yes, I expect I'll probably keep a small sliver and see how long it actually lasts. It's just one more thing I have to keep track of when soaping and probably not something I'd be making a habit of using.

I have used it with MP, but not CP. It does work. I heard the vainilin will eventually take over, but I have a MP bar 6 month old, and the color has not changes yet.

Now, as I understand is a chemical, so I avoid it.... maybe others can chime in if it is harmful or not.

I use the stabilizer for CP from BitterCreekNorth and it works great for me with FO's that normally turn light to medium tan on me, such as WSP's Sugared Spruce and SweetCakes Santa's Pipe. It keeps the tan away for at least 2 years (and counting). On the advice of others, I don't mix it with my FO. I mix it in with my batch oils/fats instead. I use an equal amount of stabilizer as per my FO.

IrishLass :)

OK, thanks for that tip IrishLass. The directions on WSP's site said to mix it with the FO, but if/when I use it again I'll do it this way instead and just mix them into the batter separately.

Rusti, where did you get the glow in the dark pigment? Sounds awesome! Please post pics when you make it!

I buy many of my micas at just pigments. I love that store, and they have the glow in the dark ones, but I have not try them (darn, now I want some). I have gotten neon's from them and they worked great.

The only mica I ever got from them that I was not all that happy was a coral pink, but I think is because I just did not put enough.

They ship free is you spend 10 dollars. And if you don't their shipping rates are very reasonable.

I like to get their samples for a dollar for specific projects.

https://www.justpigments.com/search.php?search_query=glow+in+the+dark

Also remember, not all vanilla stabilizers are created equal.
The ones I used from NG, WSP, AND Bramble Berry, never kept the browning away for more than 2 months, tops, if I was lucky, usually it was by the time the full cure was over, I could see the soaps were starting to turn.

However, in my Pink Sugar soaps that turn VERY DARK brown very quickly without stabilizer, when I used VS from BCN, it keeps the discoloration at bay for up to 9 months to a year.
For me, that is good enough for my applications, so that's the only VS I will use now.

Jcandleattic is actually the one whose BCN recommendation I followed a few years ago when looking for a vanilla stabilizer. It's a purchase I am very pleased with and have not regretted.

Thanks! If I decide it's something I want to use more often, I'll look into theirs for sure.

I use the stabilizer for CP from BitterCreekNorth and it works great for me with FO's that normally turn light to medium tan on me, such as WSP's Sugared Spruce and SweetCakes Santa's Pipe. It keeps the tan away for at least 2 years (and counting). On the advice of others, I don't mix it with my FO. I mix it in with my batch oils/fats instead. I use an equal amount of stabilizer as per my FO.

I should have reread this. I was making a batch of Sugared Spruce, so I thought I'd give the BC vanilla stabilizer a try. Mixed it with the FO. I got everything ready to soap after I came home from a few errands. The FO was semi solid, just like Rusti described, and an orangy-pinkish color. I decided to use it anyway and it mixed into the batter just fine, but turned it bright yellow. I tried to whiten it to no avail. So right now I have spruce scented yellow and two shades of pea soup green soap topped with white and green Christmas tree sparkly M&P cutouts sitting on the top. I'm hoping that it is a temporary thing, and all will be good tomorrow. Ugh.

I should have reread this. I was making a batch of Sugared Spruce, so I thought I'd give the BC vanilla stabilizer a try. Mixed it with the FO. I got everything ready to soap after I came home from a few errands. The FO was semi solid, just like Rusti described, and an orangy-pinkish color. I decided to use it anyway and it mixed into the batter just fine, but turned it bright yellow. I tried to whiten it to no avail. So right now I have spruce scented yellow and two shades of pea soup green soap topped with white and green Christmas tree sparkly M&P cutouts sitting on the top. I'm hoping that it is a temporary thing, and all will be good tomorrow. Ugh.

Sometimes my batter will go bright yellow like that using VS, however, it always changes back after a gel and saponification. The trick is to gel your soap though. If you don't gel, it will sometimes stay a yellowish color.

Here's a good example.
This soap became so yellow that the pink was orange, and the 'white' was yellow, but after saponifcation and the cut, you'd never know that's what the wet soap looked like.

Pink Camouflage Soap 001.jpg

Pink Camouflage Soap 005.jpg

Cut Camouflage soap 002.jpg

Cut Camouflage soap 005.jpg

The top stayed yellow, so I cut that part off and stamped the soap. The rest of the embeds will probably just be little itty bitty guest soaps. Or one shower.

They look good though. What scent did you say they were? Blue Spruce? They look like they would be a good VBN scent. :)

Latest posts

Back