Any German members? I'm in need of a recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm hoping one of our German members may be able to help me. I'm wanting to make a authentic Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte and am need of a proper recipe. Would highly prefer one made with whipped cream instead of buttercream.

I've managed to locate Schladerer Kirschwasser, unfortunately I can not find the canned black morello cherries but I can get canned tart cherries in juice, they will have to do.

Sure would appreciate any help, really trying to do this right.

Sometimes trader joes has morello cherries if you have access to a TJs. Even if a local store does not have it in stock, if it is on the order list they will special order.

My friend ived in Germany while her husband was stationed there. While there, she embraced German cooking and still cooks many dishes now that they are back in the states. When I asked if she could help find this recipe her response was a YES! This is a link to the recipe she uses:
http://ilovegermanfood.com/recipes/schwarzwaelder-kirschtorte/

EDIT:
She had the following notes for her experience with the recipe:
Just let your friend know that we found canned cherries (NOT maraschino) and for the Kirsch we just used some of the juice from the canned cherries. I don't believe that you can even get Kirsch (the liquor) here in the US.
We've made this a couple of times and other than that one substitution we make it exactly like the recipe. It takes 2-3 of the cans to have enough cherries for the cake.

Last edited:
Thank you Craig but I think I've found a recipe online that should work.

@artamis tell you friend thanks. I found a recipe last night that I think I'll try first, it seems more traditional. Maybe your friend would be interested in it too? http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/black-forest-cake

You actually can find kirch in the US but its not cheap and it has to come from a specialty spirit store. I was very lucky, the store that sells it is only a hour from here and there is a trader joes right down the street I'm hoping to find the cherries at.
http://www.totalwine.com/spirits/br...er-kirschwasser/p/8477375?s=1408&igrules=true

Let me know if you can't find it. We have a German butcher shop with many other German goodies in it; I've seen cherries, couldn't tell you if they're Morello but I could find out easily enough. If they did, I could send you some.

Have you ever watched "The Taste of History" with chef Walter Staib? If you have Frontier, he is on RLTV. He is from Germany and I believe has made this on his show. Just go to the The Taste of History website and do a little searching. It is also a great show to watch. Am addicted.

@lenarenee thank you for the offer. I was able to find the cherries, bought three jars so I have plenty now:)

@dbloomingdale, no I've not watched that but I will check out the website. Thanks for the tip.

I have most of my supplies and a recipe. Now to set aside a day to assemble this, maybe sometime next week. I'll update once I actual get it made lol.

I found imported kirsch already. It was dang expensive but it should last quite a long time as I bought a fifth. Its potent stuff, can't believe people actually drink it neat. Maybe the American version is sweeter since its made with sweet cherries where the German is made with tart cherries.

Latest posts

Back