Big batch!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So as I don't get much time to soap any more, I've decided to just make more soap at once. As we know, scaling up isn't so straight forward AND I'm using a rose FO in a salt bar.

It's still ongoing as I am waiting for the lye to be very cool before I mix, but the 8kg (282oz!) oil weight is melted and waiting for the fo while I put the lye in to the solution. Then prep the 6.4kg of salt (I bought 50kgs on the weekend) and line the mould.

Longest part was opening the 250g packs of co to make up the 6.4kg I need for the recipe.

Updates as they happen [emoji847]
47b874c0fe22388151f6c8b9a81f8cc1.jpg
e5cd112396077af8d366e56ec649d2cb.jpg

Wow! I couldn't do it.
I have trouble stirring in 1000g of salt.
And, I'd have to have someone tilting to soap mixing bowl while I scraped it out.
Good luck to you though.
Are you doing different batches so you can have different colours and fragrances?

Since coconut oil has a low melt temp - 72 (22.2 C), I soap it between 80-90F. This really slows things down and I don't get seizing. In fact, I usually have to put the pot back on the stove and heat it on low heat, while stirring, to get things to thicken up.

It will be a hefty pour, that is certain! Feeling strong today.

It will make over 100 bars, which will last a while of my wife giving them away. Not that long, though.........

It's cooling down nicely, still time to line the mould and put the fo in to oils.

If anyone want to see what 6.4 kg of salt looks like.......

We'll, a touch more but pouring it out of a 25kg bag isn't too great on the arms!
960917d606819f3c179622dc3a024621.jpg

Cool! Bump up the production! I thought that you're going to sell it at craft fair/festival or prep for Christmas show!!!
Please do show the end product... ;)
Or the magic salt soap cauldron.

Wow! That's one gigantic bar of soap! I'm surprised it set up so quickly.

Curious what the world record, 'largest bar of soap' is, so I looked it up...

Guinness Book of World Records states:

"The largest bar of soap weighs 14.45 tonnes and was achieved by Jinan Rujia Co., Ltd. (China) in Jinan, Shandong, China on 11 December 2015. The soap took over 3 months to complete and was divided up in to smaller pieces after the attempt to be sold."

That would be 31,790 lbs... or 14,420 kilos. I couldn't find a picture of the current world record holder, but this pic is the previous WR holder that was broken by the soap created in China. The soap pictured below weighed 8 tons (16,000 lbs or 7,257 kilos).

mo_on_soap4.jpg

Last edited:
That is a LOT of soap. Wow. Yea, I'd need help managing the containers to mix and pour that amount of soap, someone to tilt and turn them for me, and someone on the back end while I poured into the mold (or scooped and scraped and cussed the soap into the mold...).

How to bang this huge mold??? Or some vibration machine is needed to flatten out the trapped bubbles if there are any. Like those workout machine in Asia that you stand on top of it and they claim you'll have abs.

SoapTrey -- The math teacher in me wants to point out a tonne is a metric measurement of 1000 kg or 2200 lb. A ton (without the "ne" on the end) is the English name for 2000 lb or 909 kg.

Thank you DeeAnna for pointing that out! I'm certain I learned that a very long time ago and have simply forgotten. Thanks for the reminder! Please don't ever hesitate to correct my math!

I know Peak is gone, but if you can get your hands on their Rose Bouquet, it does not accelerate at all, in fact in my recipe (60% hard oils) it slows trace down slightly. AND it sticks like the dickens in CP and doesn't smell like old lady perfume, smells exactly like a real rose out of a rose garden.

Just saying, you might want to try that FO when Keystone starts selling Peak FOs. :)

I do a salt soap batch almost that large at 240oz and use rosewood essential oil blend and pink salt. I have to add the salt as soon as oils and lye mix are just combined and blend the heck out of it, then add EO as soon as that is incorporated.

I’m doing individual loaf molds though and have to cut it within about 6 hours.

whoa, My hats off to you.

I think I am the queen of tiny batches. I have made batches as small as 8 oz.

Great job TEG. That's a huge batch. I don't go that big. Generally 60 bars is my largest thus far and not often. You were brave trying to use a floral. I can barely get those in a regular 5 lb batch without trouble.

Back