~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Melt & Pour Forum > Water dispersible colours for melt & pour

Old 09-10-2017, 03:12 PM   #1
Scholar

Default Water dispersible colours for melt & pour

Hi everyone,
I am in the UK and new to soap making and I am really excited to start making my own soaps.

I have M&P clear and white bases from Stephensons and would love to add some colour to the soaps. I am a little confused about how to use colour. I have found glycerine mixed pigment and ask some diluted in deionised water. How or which colour is used for what soap base. Also, when using the colour thats diluted in deionised water, does it mean I ll have to add preservatives to the soap due to adding water element to the base?

Thanks in advance for your advise.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:09 PM   #2
Viore

Liked 109 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 305

Welcome to the forum, Scholar! When you have a moment, why not introduce yourself in the Introduction Forum?

I use powdered micas usually for my M&P colors. The white base will produce a more pastel version of the color, while the clear base will be pretty true to color. Colorant mixed with glycerin should be fine; just add a bit of color (by the drop) until you have the shade you want. Be careful! Too much colorant can make the soap lather turn colors!

I don't know about colorant mixed with water. I'm not sure how that would behave.