~*~ SMF October 2017 Challenge - Simple Minimalistic Swirl! ~*~
~ Last Look At August 2017 Challenge Photos~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Other Crafts and DIY Projects > Making molds

Old 09-23-2017, 10:42 AM   #21
Kittish
Enthusiastic Newbie
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 906 Times on 432 Posts
Likes Given: 490

An update on the plastic mold liners- They didn't work out nearly so well as I'd hoped they would. For the first few uses they were great. Then they started warping, and leaking and the soap started sticking to them really badly. I'm thinking the lye was attacking whatever kind of plastic they're made from, and the packaging for the cutting mats didn't indicate what it was.

I'm shifting over to silicone molds. I've got two 500 and 3 750 gram loaf molds as well as a 750-1000g small slab. At the moment, I've got cardboard sleeves on the ones that need support. I've got a pallet with slats that are 1/4" thick, I'm planning on salvaging those and reusing what I can from my original molds to build permanent boxes for them. The parts of the liners that are salvageable I'll use as stiffeners in leather projects.

Here are the original pics again, since the links are broken above:

People Like This 
Old 09-23-2017, 11:07 AM   #22
penelopejane

Liked 1746 Times on 1019 Posts
Likes Given: 2691

At least you will find it easy to make the new molds to go around the silicone liners with all that practice!

I got Nurture liners. They are thick and work well. They are really shiny inside and work well but I've only made about 20 batches with them. They unmold as well as the first time.

One thing I learnt is it is good to have one end that is removable (wing nuts and a bolt etc). Since I've modified my molds I haven't needed to take them apart so maybe making them 2mm longer than necessary would be enough, not sure.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:08 AM   #23
Kittish
Enthusiastic Newbie
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

I will keep that in mind when I start building the next round of boxes. Long bolts aren't hard to come by.
penelopejane Likes This 
Old 09-23-2017, 11:16 AM   #24
BattleGnome

Liked 673 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 790

Have you seen the Soaping101 silicone mold video? She makes a cardboard box to tightly fit the wooden mold then paints the cardboard with silicone to make the liner. Maybe you can still use the ones you've already made (provided you haven't invested in something else already)

Old 09-23-2017, 06:18 PM   #25
Kittish
Enthusiastic Newbie
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleGnome View Post
Have you seen the Soaping101 silicone mold video? She makes a cardboard box to tightly fit the wooden mold then paints the cardboard with silicone to make the liner. Maybe you can still use the ones you've already made (provided you haven't invested in something else already)
No, I haven't seen that video. I've got my smaller silicone loaf molds already (except you can never have too many, right?) but I've still got the 4 pound wooden molds I bought off etsy and the big deep square box I built (looks like it'll make 8 or 10 'on end' bars and is plenty deep enough for that). I've got silicone baking mats to try to make mold liners with, as well as teflon heat transfer sheets. If neither of those work out well, I may get a tube or two of silicone caulking and try painting some cardboard. Huh, now that I think of it, I may get some and see if I can make a drop in divider for that big box. Easier to work with than trying to cut acrylic probably.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:26 PM   #26
penelopejane

^^ they don't use the same silicone as silicone caulking.
Watch one of the videos.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:06 PM   #27
Kittish
Enthusiastic Newbie
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by penelopejane View Post
^^ they don't use the same silicone as silicone caulking.
Watch one of the videos.
You're right, she isn't. For the mold liner she's using liquid latex rubber (which does check out as lye safe). Hmm. I bet silicone caulk would work, too. I might have to try them both, just for the sake of comparing. I see though that it wouldn't work for a drop in divider for my big box.

Here's the video for anyone else who wants to check it out, too:
Teapot Likes This 
Old 09-23-2017, 07:07 PM   #28
0115d8cf

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 103

Sorry to hear, but I'm glad you posted an update! That is some serious diy

Old 09-23-2017, 07:10 PM   #29
penelopejane

There are others who've use silicone - just a different type of silicone - google soap liners.

I think it's the heat that the other silicone is better for.
But it's $$$. So really think if you might not be better off with a quality silicone mold and make the surround.

Aliexpress has lots of cheap silicone molds but most have a lip at the top which means you'd have to be restricted to that height or cut it off so you can have a lid.

BB molds would be a pain to make a box for. Nurture are easy.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:31 PM   #30
Kittish
Enthusiastic Newbie
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by penelopejane View Post
There are others who've use silicone - just a different type of silicone - google soap liners.

I think it's the heat that the other silicone is better for.
But it's $$$. So really think if you might not be better off with a quality silicone mold and make the surround.

Aliexpress has lots of cheap silicone molds but most have a lip at the top which means you'd have to be restricted to that height or cut it off so you can have a lid.

BB molds would be a pain to make a box for. Nurture are easy.
I've got several silicone molds already that I just need to build boxes for, and I'm sure I'll get more. I'm pretty much going to shift to silicone entirely for my day to day soap molds. I've already disassembled most of my first shot at boxes to use to make those surrounds. It's just the two big loaf molds that I got from etsy and the big, deep square I made that I need custom liners for. And I'm not opposed to trying out different methods and materials until I find the one that I like best.

People Like This