~*~ SMF October 2017 Challenge - Simple Minimalistic Swirl! ~*~
~ October 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Other Crafts and DIY Projects > Clean and sterilize bird feathers

Old 10-01-2017, 08:09 PM   #1
Nao

Liked 104 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Default Clean and sterilize bird feathers

A couple of years ago I bought quite a lot of bird feathers from China on eBay, which I realised afterwards wasn't the best of ideas but having already bought them I figured I might as well use them. They have been sitting in a plastic shopping bag in a corner with their packages in various degrees of unwrapping since then because I figured I needed to properly sterilise and clean them but didn't really know the best way to go about it and I don't want to catch anything by handling the feathers the wrong way. I did some research a while ago but that didn't really help.

So what do you think? Anybody having any experience with this? Maybe links to reliable sites? Is there a good way to clean and sterilise the feathers or is it a lost cause and I better just throw the whole lot in the trash or the fireplace?

Old 10-01-2017, 08:45 PM   #2
KattChaos

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts

I did some research for you... I hope this is helpful

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-clean-feathers/
Zany_in_CO Likes This 
Old 10-01-2017, 08:48 PM   #3
Kittish
Enthusiastic Newbie
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 927 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 500

This looks like some good methods for cleaning feathers (though I don't think I'd try the gasoline method: http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-clean-feathers/

Here's another one that gives instructions on how to remove potential insects and clean and sanitize them (though s/he does seem a little over the top with the warnings): https://daragallery.wordpress.com/20...rs-for-crafts/
NsMar42111 Likes This