~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Melt & Pour Forum > Making soap with kids

Old 06-10-2017, 04:02 PM   #1
lisat
RiverGirl

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Making soap with kids

The place where I make my soap (CP) is holding summer camp, and I've agreed to make soap with the kids (12-15) in a couple of weeks. What I'm wondering is whether I should mix up a batch of CP soap and let them play with scent and some herbals for color, or whether I'm better off going with MP, which I've never used. Any thoughts?

Old 06-10-2017, 05:10 PM   #2
Kamahido
Paladin of Soap

Liked 428 Times on 235 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Perhaps I am just paranoid, but the word "liability" booms in my head every time this comes up. I would just stick with melt and pour if it were me. This thread also comes to mind...

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showt...ghlight=safety

People Like This 
Old 06-10-2017, 05:38 PM   #3
lisat
RiverGirl

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I just ordered some MP for the event. Maybe I'll do a demo of the CP, then we'll do the MP together. Even though it says over 15, I think that with proper supervision, it'll be okay. I got little fishes they can put in. should be fun.
People Like This 
Old 06-10-2017, 08:12 PM   #4
Susie
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7903 Times on 4355 Posts
Likes Given: 16630

I think, besides MP, you could mix up some soap dough ahead of time, and let the kids make what they like. That should be enough "hands on" for them without risking NaOH being around them.

And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men. Luke 2:10-14
People Like This 
Old 06-11-2017, 03:03 AM   #5
lisat
RiverGirl

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

That looks like fun! I never heard of it before.

Old 06-11-2017, 03:31 AM   #6
TheDragonGirl

Liked 793 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 134

If you use Bee's process you can make pure mold-able soap that will harden when left out to dry and wont mold when it gets wet
http://sorcerysoap.com/recipes/

Old 06-12-2017, 01:14 AM   #7
lisat
RiverGirl

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

That's really cool. Looks like all she does is make a basic CP batch, then not let it cure until she's molded it into whatever she wants. I'm going to try that myself!

Old 06-12-2017, 01:30 AM   #8
Rusti

Liked 477 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisat View Post
That's really cool. Looks like all she does is make a basic CP batch, then not let it cure until she's molded it into whatever she wants. I'm going to try that myself!
I think she seals it up air tight and puts it in the fridge to prevent gel too. So when you get it back out, saponification is complete, but it hasn't gelled and since it's been sealed up, it's still pliable.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:19 PM   #9
dixiedragon

Liked 3706 Times on 2139 Posts
Likes Given: 1642

I think 12-15 is old enough to handle CP soap. My question would be, how many kids and how many helpers? DoriettaFarm did a class and I assisted. Granted, these were adults. But she planned out a combination of MP and CP and it went really well. We made the CP, talked about chemistry, safety, etc, then we made MP, which they could take home and use the next day. Dorietta got a bunch of individual clamshell molds with snap-on lids. Each participant got a Solo cup with 4 oz of MP and a popsicle stick to stir. They added fragrance, herbs, mica, etc - whatever they wanted.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:30 AM   #10
TheDragonGirl

Liked 793 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisat View Post
I've tried both my recipe and the recipe she uses specifically for the soap molding and hers is way easier to work with, for what its worth.