Extracts can you use them for anything other than baking?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tried using extracts in anything? I have heard not to use them in soap... so I haven't, but I am wondering about everything else? Including, but not limited to: Bathbombs, Body Butter, Lotion, Lip Balm etc...

This has come up considering my family owns a grocery store, we have a surplus of extracts ( vanilla, coffee, anise, almond, etc) that are just going to waste and I would like to incorporate them into something!!!

Please!!! if you have ever tried anything, and it did/didn't work comment. If you have pictures post them!

There is no reliable sources online of using them for anything and I trust you all the most about this.

I know this is going to be fun, somebody is bound to comment. "No" so prove me wrong and let's figure this out...
Well if you look at your ingredient list on these flavor extracts and the only ingredient besides alcohol is essence, extract, oil..then you can cook the alcohol out and use it for scents, even IN soap. I have done this by putting extract in a small mason jar, putting a small amount of water in a crockpot, and putting the jar of extract in the crock until the alcohol cooks out and you are left with oil. the alcohol in these also contains water so just be sure to really cook it down. The only downside is not all scents will come through in your end product..especially if you are doing soap. Things like vanilla or strawberry dont seem to come through very well. But other things such as coconut or almond seem to come through a little more. I have really dived deep into figuring out what can be used in soaps beyond some of the current popular choices. Ive dived into indredient lists on other fragrance oils, which can be tedious. But ive found this is generally pretty safe, just with spotty results.
contd: BUT any artificial flavors can contain methyl cyclopentenolone, diacetyl, methyl methoxy pyrazine, and benzaldehyde, which you do not want in any of your products. just look for natural extracts. you can find how each companies make their essences and extracts..usually a bit of work and digging but its a chievable

Well if you look at your ingredient list on these flavor extracts and the only ingredient besides alcohol is essence, extract, oil..then you can cook the alcohol out and use it for scents, even IN soap. I have done this by putting extract in a small mason jar, putting a small amount of water in a crockpot, and putting the jar of extract in the crock until the alcohol cooks out and you are left with oil. the alcohol in these also contains water so just be sure to really cook it down. The only downside is not all scents will come through in your end product..especially if you are doing soap. Things like vanilla or strawberry dont seem to come through very well. But other things such as coconut or almond seem to come through a little more. I have really dived deep into figuring out what can be used in soaps beyond some of the current popular choices. Ive dived into indredient lists on other fragrance oils, which can be tedious. But ive found this is generally pretty safe, just with spotty results.
contd: BUT any artificial flavors can contain methyl cyclopentenolone, diacetyl, methyl methoxy pyrazine, and benzaldehyde, which you do not want in any of your products. just look for natural extracts. you can find how each companies make their essences and extracts..usually a bit of work and digging but its a chievable
tmar22 hasn't been here for 7 yrs, so probably won't see your post. This post is from 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back