Making Deodorant

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Commercial sodium stearate is a powder for ease of processing, but I suspect the powder form isn't a strict necessity. I'd try grating home-made sodium stearate into fine flakes/shreds.

There's a hint on formulating the deo base in this file: http://www.duponttateandlyle.com/sites/default/files/Water Based Deodorant_GelStick_TechnicalBulletin_Zemea_CPC.pdf

Here's a paraphrase of the key info -- "...Sodium stearate is dissolved in propylene glycol [and water] at 75-80 C, followed by the addition of any remaining ingredients...."

Here are 2 generic formulations from the same PDF --
51% water and 40% propylene glycol and 6.5% sodium stearate and solubilizing agent (PEG 400 monolaurate) and active ingredients
OR
31% water and 64.5% propylene glycol and 2% sodium stearate and solubilizing agent and active ingredients

A higher % of stearic soap is going to increase the melt temperature and add hardness to the mixture. If I'm looking at the correct lush deo, I see it's more of a flattish shape like a soap bar rather than an upright stick like a lip-balm style. The flatter shape will be helpful -- you won't have to make the product so firm that it's hard to apply.

There's more hits that look productive, but I'm going to let you check them out. Search google using this keyword phrase: water, propylene glycol, sodium stearate

Last edited:
Commercial sodium stearate is a powder for ease of processing, but I suspect the powder form isn't a strict necessity. I'd try grating home-made sodium stearate into fine flakes/shreds.

There's a hint on formulating the deo base in this file: http://www.duponttateandlyle.com/sites/default/files/Water Based Deodorant_GelStick_TechnicalBulletin_Zemea_CPC.pdf

Here's a paraphrase of the key info -- "...Sodium stearate is dissolved in propylene glycol [and water] at 75-80 C, followed by the addition of any remaining ingredients...."

Here are 2 generic formulations from the same PDF --
51% water and 40% propylene glycol and 6.5% sodium stearate and solubilizing agent (PEG 400 monolaurate) and active ingredients
OR
31% water and 64.5% propylene glycol and 2% sodium stearate and solubilizing agent and active ingredients

A higher % of stearic soap is going to increase the melt temperature and add hardness to the mixture. If I'm looking at the correct lush deo, I see it's more of a flattish shape like a soap bar rather than an upright stick like a lip-balm style. The flatter shape will be helpful -- you won't have to make the product so firm that it's hard to apply.

There's more hits that look productive, but I'm going to let you check them out. Search google using this keyword phrase: water, propylene glycol, sodium stearate

Thank you DeeAnna. With all of my reasearch this makes perfect sense to me. Thank you for the info on how to make make the SS and how to use it in this product. Your the best as always. Your knowledge is always invaluable. With continued reading and experimentation hopefully I’ll have a better idea of how best to utilize the ingredients.

deodoranttrial.jpg
I’m really just looking for a way to make the deodorant not need a container
That's easy enough to do. For my deodorant trials I don't use containers - I pour into dixie cups and then peel the cup away when they've cooled. Why don't you just alter your solid lotion bar recipe to include your active?

View attachment 35405
That's easy enough to do. For my deodorant trials I don't use containers - I pour into dixie cups and then peel the cup away when they've cooled. Why don't you just alter your solid lotion bar recipe to include your active?

A solid lotion bar doesn’t really do what I want it to do. The consistency is wrong. You need to be able to hold it in your hand and not have it melt. Which will be what happens with a lotion bar. But Thankyou for the suggestion.

A solid lotion bar doesn’t really do what I want it to do. The consistency is wrong. You need to be able to hold it in your hand and not have it melt. Which will be what happens with a lotion bar. But Thankyou for the suggestion
Sorry I was using that as an example of a jumping off point. You definitely don't want it so hard that it is difficult to apply. Incorporating a powder into whatever recipe you use will change the consistency as will your choice of ingredients. The trial bars in my photo don't melt in my hand and I tend to rub them on my palm to get them softened up before application. I actually want them to be just a tad softer which I think will happen with the addition of the essential oil blend and being packaged in a push up tube.

Sorry I was using that as an example of a jumping off point. You definitely don't want it so hard that it is difficult to apply. Incorporating a powder into whatever recipe you use will change the consistency as will your choice of ingredients. The trial bars in my photo don't melt in my hand and I tend to rub them on my palm to get them softened up before application. I actually want them to be just a tad softer which I think will happen with the addition of the essential oil blend and being packaged in a push up tube.

Im knee deep in this at this point. I have a very successful deodorant formula already in a stick and works beautifully. I have done a minimum 15-20 different formulas already on this container - free concept and wanted to get a better understanding of the sodium stearate before wasting anymore product.

I don't do lotion bars at all. I'm in sunny Miami, Florida and its 102 in the shade. So when I'm formulating something like this I have to take into consideration the weather here. This is for my son and he lives here too. All of the formulas were too soft to actually hold. Ill get it - I always do. Just might take a while. But thank you so much for your help. With my 12 years making bath and body products I have only a fraction of the knowledge and experience as some of the others here who have been doing it way longer. This is frankly the best place to come when your stumped. Well at least for me it is.

I know it's been a while since anyone added anything - but I'm looking into making my own deo without baking soda (too irritating) and did read the de-funk de pits. I'm intrigued by zinc ricinoleate and have some on the way from WSP. Did anyone's experiments amount to anything? I'd love to hear about successes, failures, and any helpful feedback on ingredients.

I've ordered babassu oil, zinc ricinoleate, arrowroot powder, Mg(OH)2, magnesium stearate, emulsifying wax soft & silky, and cocoa butter. Currently I'm thinking to do a base of mostly babassu/Mg(OH)2 since that worked so well for so many people.

zinc will leave a residue on clothes I believe
Zinc ricinoleate is sold as pastilles and won't leave any residue. I tried it many years ago and wasn't able to make it work for me. I think Tom's of Maine had it in their recipe at one time but I don't think they use it now which would indicate to me that it didn't work out for them either. Zinc oxide - although it might go on white but quickly turns clear and doesn't leave any residue. Zinc oxide might be a better bet for you steffamarie.

I know it's been a while since anyone added anything - but I'm looking into making my own deo without baking soda (too irritating) and did read the de-funk de pits. I'm intrigued by zinc ricinoleate and have some on the way from WSP. Did anyone's experiments amount to anything? I'd love to hear about successes, failures, and any helpful feedback on ingredients.

I can't speak for anyone else, but- yes- the magnesium hydroxide and babassu combo has been a huge success for me! And not only for me, but also family members. What a coincidence that you just posted your question, because I just found out today that the newest convert to it is my SIL, who had been previously using the Native-brand deodorant. Sometime last month we were talking and the subject of deodorant came up, and she told me about the irritation issues she'd been experiencing with the Native-brand, so I mixed up a batch of my mag hydroxide/babassu combo for her to try, and after a month of using it, she calls me up today to ask me where she could buy the ingredients so she could make it herself and not have to keep bugging me to make more for her, because it works so well for her that she doesn't want to use anything else! No body odor and no irritation at all! :)

IrishLass :)

Me, too. I am pretty sure many of us who were posting on that thread that had success reported on our success. But it is a very long thread and finding those reports sprinkled throughout can be a challenge.

I still use mine and make more as needed, which incidentally is on my agenda later this week.

I cannot keep may mag, babassu deodorants in stock. They have proven to be a big seller for me with most being return customers. Dragon's blood is the largest seller although I have to use unfragranced.

BTW, my 10 year old granddaughter would tell me her feet were stinky from her Doc boots, so I gave her one for just her feet. She called me and informed me she no longer has stinky feet. :D She has to wear boots most of the time because of a foot problem, which of course the Doctors would not do anything about when she was little. :(

I've ordered babassu oil, zinc ricinoleate, arrowroot powder, Mg(OH)2, magnesium stearate, emulsifying wax soft & silky, and cocoa butter. Currently I'm thinking to do a base of mostly babassu/Mg(OH)2 since that worked so well for so many people.
Hi Steffamarie. I just made a batch if deodorant yesterday and have been testing batches with my friends. My best batch so far is yesterday’s.

I would encourage you to check about wax. I am not using soy because of the estrogen it produces. My quest for producing a good product is for my Mom who is a 4 week breast cancer survivor. Her tumor was estrogen fed. So no soy for Ma! :). The non-nano zinc oxide did the trick! I also used beeswax and frankincense, which is believed to kill cancer cells.

I can't speak for anyone else, but- yes- the magnesium hydroxide and babassu combo has been a huge success for me! And not only for me, but also family members. What a coincidence that you just posted your question, because I just found out today that the newest convert to it is my SIL, who had been previously using the Native-brand deodorant. Sometime last month we were talking and the subject of deodorant came up, and she told me about the irritation issues she'd been experiencing with the Native-brand, so I mixed up a batch of my mag hydroxide/babassu combo for her to try, and after a month of using it, she calls me up today to ask me where she could buy the ingredients so she could make it herself and not have to keep bugging me to make more for her, because it works so well for her that she doesn't want to use anything else! No body odor and no irritation at all! :)

IrishLass :)

I have been making the babassu/mag deo since the thread started and i made some for my son. Unfortunately he said it did not work for him and it irritated his underarms big time. Any thoughts on why this happened to him?

I have been making the babassu/mag deo since the thread started and i made some for my son. Unfortunately he said it did not work for him and it irritated his underarms big time. Any thoughts on why this happened to him?

Did you use a fragrance oil?

I had irritation when I added too much (spilled some while pouring, ruined my mini scale, unsure of exact amount) FO the first time I used fragrance in it. My skin turned bright red. The redness & swelling lasted about a week or so after I stopped using it. After that cleared up, I made up another small batch without fragrance & re-melted the old stuff into the new batch to dilute the percentage of FO and have never had a problem since. I keep the FO on the light side after this experience.

Without FO I do not get any reaction at all.

I also have a problem with some fragrances in my deo stick so only use unfragranced for me. I fragrance no higher than 1% and 0.5% for strong fragrances such as my DB. So far I have been fortunate enough to not have complaints about irritation, but we can all be allergic to something.

Aarrgh sorry i hit too many buttons.
I used very little FO because my daughter wanted scent. I could hardly smell it and i have a good sniffer. But maybe it was enough to irritate him. I will make unscented for him and do another trial. But he also said it didnt work for smell but maybe he reacted to FO and thats why??

Latest posts

Back