~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Melt & Pour Forum > Question about curing time

Old 04-15-2014, 07:20 PM   #1
Katrina

Default Question about curing time

My husband and I just made our first batch of melt and pour. We bought some shea butter base and some glycerine from Michaels. I'm sure it's not the best products in the world, but we just wanted to have a little fun while we research what we really want to buy. We mixed 2lbs of the shea with 1 lb of the glycerin because our mold holds 3 lbs. We added our essence oil and some tea leaves and orange and lime zest. It poured well and we cut the bars. The instructions say to let it cure for 2-4 weeks, but I'm not reading about cure times anywhere else for M&P soap. It has a slightly tacky feel. We live in NM so it's a very dry climate. Should we let it cure or not? Thanks

Last edited by Katrina; 04-16-2014 at 04:06 PM.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:02 PM   #2
Hazel
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1810 Times on 1223 Posts
Likes Given: 2032

That is odd. I've never heard of a cure time for MP. That's one of the benefits that it's ready to go as soon as is hardens. Of course, Michaels' isn't known for quality MP. I've seen a couple of reviews about the soap base they carry and both people said it felt tacky so you're not the only person to comment on it.

I like the MP Cierra Candles carries which is made from " Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Safflower Oil, Glycerine (kosher, of vegetable origin), Purified Water, Sodium Hydroxide saponifying agent), Sorbitol (moisturizer), Sorbitan oleate (emulsifier), Soy bean protein (conditioner)". However, I know there are other suppliers which carry the same base. You might be able to find a supplier close to you.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:07 PM   #3
lisamaliga
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 108 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 594

Hazel suggested the base that is made by SFIC and it's excellent. I've used the base that Michael's sells as an experiment and it's okay. If you live in NM you live in the ideal soap crafting climate. The problem you're experiencing can probably be attributed to the soap base.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:18 PM   #4
Khanjari

Liked 215 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I sometimes do use the soap base from Michaels. What is the base type? They sell 4-5 types.... clear glycerin, white glycerin, olive oil base, Shea Butter, goats milk etc....

I have never felt that tacky feeling

Old 04-16-2014, 04:05 PM   #5
Katrina

I used shea and clear glycerin. It's not too bad, but there is a slight tackiness. We're planning on doing CP in the future but we're busy researching what tools and supplies we want to buy first. We just purchased the Michaels stuff to have a little fun while we figure the rest out.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:51 PM   #6
SoapyQueenBee

Liked 68 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've had the same issue with the Michael's M&P bases. I've resorted to 'curing' my cut bars for 3-5 days, but they're all still fairly tacky. I've been wondering if it was just something I was doing wrong, or perhaps Washington is just the wrong humidity level for M&P.. good to know that it's not just me.
I'm looking around for a new supplier, as we speak, I'd be happy to pass on any recommendations, after I try a few different ones, if you'd like.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:35 PM   #7
Khanjari

Liked 215 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have tried Hobby Lobby bases and the 5lbs slab is cheaper than Michael's and I found it was better!!! It could be just me but....

Hope you like it too

Old 05-14-2014, 03:44 PM   #8
lisamaliga
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 108 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 594

Stephenson's and SFIC are 2 of the best bases on the market. If you're in Washington state you can get SFIC base from a local supplier: Brambleberry. http://www.brambleberry.com/Bramble-...Bases-C11.aspx

Old 05-18-2014, 08:53 AM   #9
SoapyQueenBee

Liked 68 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I get my bases from Bramble Berry, and I can definitely see a significant difference between these and the 'craft' soap bases, such as at Michaels. The prices are very good, as well.

**just got bases in from Bramble Berry, that is. Some days, I'm pretty sure I don't know how to speak!

Last edited by SoapyQueenBee; 05-19-2014 at 03:32 AM.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:21 PM   #10
Rigneylane

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default Curing time

Hello! I would let at least some of the batch cure for 2-4 weeks as per instructions, just so you could see any difference between the cured and immediately used soap. Most soap sold for rebatching (melt & pour) is sold fairly "young", or soon after it's made, because it's easier to work with young soap. However, "young" soap still may have un-reacted lye. It usually does take at least 4 weeks from production date for lye to fully react in the soap base.