Digital scale for small & large batches

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapyStacy

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a digital scale that can handle at least 10 lbs, with an accuracy of at least .1 grams?

I want it to handle 100g test batches and also big batches weighed in my crockpot. Is that asking too much?

SoapyStacy said:
Arrgh.. no, that's only accurate to 1 gram, not .1 gram.

A gram is metric measurement. It is approximately 1/28 of an ounce. Unless you want to spend big bucks don't count on getting anything that accurate for soaping.

And may I ask....why do you need it so accurate?

The large batches would be soaps, the 100g test batches would be for things like lotion, body products, etc. That comes out to 3.5 ounces, which is a good test size.

I would have to make a ~ 7 oz batch (200g) to ensure that my .5% preservative would be accurate (at 1 gram, and even then, it's no telling if it's 1.0 gram, or 1.5 grams, etc.

ETA: on $4+ per ounce products like hydrolized oats, etc, I want to test on as small a batch as I can.

Ooops! I didn't notice that you said .1 gram. My apologies. In my mind I saw it as 1 gram. :oops:

I personally don't know of any one single scale that measure as small as .1 gram and up to 10 lbs. It sure would be nice, though. I have 2 scales for that reason. My soaping scale is similar to the one in the link I gave you, and my other scale that I use for weighing things in miniscule increments is this one: http://www.lotioncrafter.com/jennings-j ... scale.html.

IrishLass :)

IrishLass said:
Ooops! I didn't notice that you said .1 gram. My apologies. In my mind I saw it as 1 gram. :oops:

I personally don't know of any one single scale that measure as small as .1 gram and up to 10 lbs. It sure would be nice, though. I have 2 scales for that reason.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to get 2. My boyfriend gave me his which measures with 1 gram accuracy (but it shows ounces as fractions rather than decimals, which I don't like), so I guess I'll have to get a second one just for the smaller stuff.

Why would you need a preservative in soap??

I have two scales- one that goes up to 5 kg, and other which goes up to 400 g, and has a .1g precision. I think the small one cost me under 10 euros. Look on amazon for 'pocket scales' or 'jewler's scales', and you'll find a lot of them for cheap.

fiddletree said:
Why would you need a preservative in soap??

I make liquid soap, not bar. Anything made with water needs a preservative. But the .5 gram amount applies more for lotions.

TKB Trading has a little scale that goes to 300 grams and measures at .01 grams. It's intended for people who make mineral makeup. I have been experimenting with serums and make very tiny recipes. This fits my needs and was easy on the budget.

Doesn't go up to 10 lbs though. I've seen some of those, can't remember where, maybe Amazon, and they were pricey.

I have been looking for the same thing. There are many on eBay (cheap too) that go .1g to 6lb but I cannot find anything that goes over 6lb (that also goes as low as .1g)! Let us know if you find anything.

which scale did you decide on?

HutCar92 said:
http://www.oldwillknottscales.com

That's where I got mine. I love it!

I am a newbie going to make my first batch and wondering which scale you purchased. thanks for the assistance.

Its an i5500 the logo says my weight it does .1 gram up to 5500 grams. My boyfriend actually bought it so I haven't been on their site too much, but I feel like someone called us to make sure we got it and it worked. But it works great!!

MUCH cheaper to just buy two separate scales. Buy a postal scale that measures in grams up to 10 or 11lbs ($20-$30) and a smaller scale that measures in .1g ($10). Certainly beats paying $200 or so for a combo scale. They don't take up very much space or anything.

Sorry, didn't know it actually cost that much. Got it as a Christmas gift. Anyways, its a good scale reguardless

Back