soap gentile enough for little kids?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris21908

Reaction score
i tried searching this forum and google but had no luck finding a CP soap recipe that's safe for kids around the ages of 3-5. anyone have any recipes that are gentile enough for little kids to use?

my little cousins just discovered bar soap and now its their favorite thing when it comes to bath time :)

For kids that age I'd either do a pure Castile (100% olive oil) or a Bastile (I made a 93% OO, 7% castor one that came out really mild). They won't be super bubbly but they'll be extremely gentle. One thing about Castile and Bastile is that they get nicer and nicer as they age, so a nice long cure time helps a lot.

TessV said:
For kids that age I'd either do a pure Castile (100% olive oil) or a Bastile (I made a 93% OO, 7% castor one that came out really mild). They won't be super bubbly but they'll be extremely gentle. One thing about Castile and Bastile is that they get nicer and nicer as they age, so a nice long cure time helps a lot.

il definitely try this! thank u very much!!!!

i would think any recipe should be safe for children, my grandboys use it all the time, not high co should be good.

Fragrance would be my biggest concern. I would only use mild EOs in very sm qtys. I would not use fos if I wanted to be on the safe side.

i would go easy on the fos or eos, but think about whats in commercial soaps, its safe for children.

Id go for a well balanced bar,very very well cured.Can just imagine what castille would look like after a bath session with 5yr olds! :lol:

TessV said:

+1. Have had very good reports about the olive-castor bars I've given to folks with very sensitive skin.

I also use these to make shampoo.

If your basic soap recipe isn't drying to your skin, it will be fine for the little kids. Our handmade soaps are so superior to the detergents soap manufacturers call soap!

Like others have said, the real concern is not introducing their skin to too many scent materials & other chemicals so early in their lives. So, a very lightly scented or non-scented soap is best. Personally, I'd do a non-scented, non-colored soap but I'd pour into some fun heavy duty milky way molds.

I make my regular recipes for my kids (5 and 8), including FOs, and it works fine for us. I even let them *gasp* use a few bars before they're fully cured because they have patience issues like their Mama..! My kids aren't sensitive to stuff like that though.

Another really nice option is 80% Olive, 15% Coconut Oil & 5% Castor, then use Goat's Milk as your liquid. Not only is it really gentle - it is also really soothing with the GM....For that age group you can use really light EO's for frgrance....

mandolyn said:
If your basic soap recipe isn't drying to your skin, it will be fine for the little kids. Our handmade soaps are so superior to the detergents soap manufacturers call soap!

Like others have said, the real concern is not introducing their skin to too many scent materials & other chemicals so early in their lives. So, a very lightly scented or non-scented soap is best. Personally, I'd do a non-scented, non-colored soap but I'd pour into some fun heavy duty milky way molds.

ditto

Latest posts

Back