Measuring Fragrances?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The brambleberry fragrance calculator is based on batch weight not weight of oils only. I have found most brambleberry fragrances to be pretty strong. Their Champagne is super strong.

What size are your batches?
At most a pound. I have started measuring by weight now due to the advice in this thread. I have been doing half a gram per ounce. I haven't given out too much yet to get feedback.

As for the new fragrance oils, I am not really a fan. I am going to give them another chance, probably this weekend. None of the scents they had really wow'd me. I only used 8 drops per bar, and it still had a good scent, it is just the fragrance itself I wasn't excited about.

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to the forums, hurricane mania is sweeping the South and I put it on the back burner.

I am measuring by weight now. Got me a cheap little scale. I still haven't found a solution to my original issue, and now my molds have smell stuck to them as well.

If I figure something out, I will share.

For transferring small amounts of oils, glass pipettes might work for you, or glass droppers if you can find some with silicone bulbs. You don't want to use the regular rubber bulb type droppers, the oils will degrade it in fairly short order. A lab supply company should have several options available. For transferring larger amounts, around an ounce or more, pouring sticks and small funnels might work for you.

I wouldn't worry too much about scent stuck to the mold, it shouldn't transfer. I use silicone in cooking and food smells stick to it, but they never transfer to whatever else I cook.

You can get away with a rubber bulb if you're careful not to let the solution get up into the bulb.

It's Very Bad lab etiquette to let fluid into a pipette bulb. I got that beat out of me in freshman chem lab by a terror of a cranky teaching assistant. ;)

Next thing I bet you're going to say I should also suck the liquid into the pipette up with my mouth? :mrgreen:

As far as using a glass pipette, it has to be thoroughly cleaned and dried before using it with a new EO. Pretty much what you'd have to do to clean a plastic pipette. So I don't see a lot of benenfit to glass over plastic.

More ideas for pouring: https://classicbells.com/soap/pourTips.html

Latest posts

Back