~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Melt & Pour Forum > Question about curing time

Old 05-18-2014, 08:16 PM   #11
Sheila Pullar

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Does melt and pour soap stop sweating after about four weeks? I usually wrap it straight away to stop this from happening. Can I take the cling film I wrap it with off after a few weeks or could it still sweat? Can any one give me advice? X

Old 05-19-2014, 02:53 AM   #12
Hazel
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1810 Times on 1223 Posts
Likes Given: 2032

Yes, it could still continue to sweat because of the glycerin content. Glycerin is a humectant but I think humidity would be a factor. I rarely have had MP soap sweat except for when it's extremely humid. However, I'm not an expert and I don't make MP very often. Hopefully, someone who is an expert with MP will correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW, MP soap will slightly shrink over time if left unwrapped. I assumed there was a little water evaporation to cause the shrinkage. The soap was still good just a tad smaller as compared to the others. The ones I had wrapped were fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigneylane View Post
Hello! I would let at least some of the batch cure for 2-4 weeks as per instructions, just so you could see any difference between the cured and immediately used soap. Most soap sold for rebatching (melt & pour) is sold fairly "young", or soon after it's made, because it's easier to work with young soap. However, "young" soap still may have un-reacted lye. It usually does take at least 4 weeks from production date for lye to fully react in the soap base.
Where did you read this information? I've always read it only takes one day to several days for lye to completely react with the oils depending on whether you gel or prevent gel. However, you want to cure for at least 4 weeks to allow for excess water evaporation and for the soap to become milder.

Plus I highly doubt suppliers are selling soap base with un-reacted lye. That would be a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:42 AM   #13
Sheila Pullar

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Thank you for your comments x

Old 08-21-2017, 07:25 PM   #14
SunRiseArts
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 897 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 950

I do a lot of MP. I personally do not like Stephenson bases, they do not melt evenly.

I have bought the Michael ones, and I have never had problems with it. Did you add anything besides fragrance to the base? If you the a slab of 2 or more pounds, they only need to sit overnight.

Di you spray it with alcohol at the end?

Old 08-21-2017, 07:30 PM   #15
SunRiseArts
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 897 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 950

Sorry I was doing a search and did not realize this thread is old. Mods feel free to delete my comments.