Soleseife Liquid Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CassieLouisa

Reaction score
Has anyone made soleseife soap in liquid form? I've seen it and want to make it but need a good recipe.

Thanks,
CL

I've not ever seen it in a liquid soap form, and this is just my theoretical opinion, but there's probably a good reason for that since salt acts as a thickening agent in liquid soap. Hopefully DeeAnna might be able to chime in and shed more light on the subject as to whether a soleseife LS it would be do-able or not.

IrishLass :)

I don't have much to say about this. I've not tried it, and there doesn't seem to be a lot out on the 'net about it -- just a mention here and there. The impression I get is the salt brine is used to make the soap paste, but I suspect water is used to dilute the paste.

The primary fat should be a high oleic fat -- olive, HO sunflower or safflower, etc. This type of fat is going to respond to the salt to add thickness. If you don't have a high % of oleic acid in the recipe, the salt is not going to thicken the soap much if at all. One seller says her recipe has 60% olive oil with the balance being coconut and castor.

For the secondary fat, I'd use a high % of coconut oil -- at least 30% or so. That is going to help create bubbles in salty water. I might include a dab of castor, but I think I'd avoid any high stearic-palmitic fat like cocoa butter, shea, palm, etc.

Salt will have two contrary effects on a liquid soap. Salt will thicken the soap up to a point, as long as the recipe has sufficient oleic acid. When the % of salt becomes sufficiently high, the reverse to happen -- the soap will become thinner. That's part of the reason why I don't think brine is used for dilution; just to make the paste.

It is used to both make the paste, and as an additive later to thicken the high oleic soaps. I did it once, and will never do it again as I can make better AND thicker soap using IrishLass' recipe/method. I specifically did not like the effect the salt has on the lather and it seems to leave a residue on my hands that is very drying.

Latest posts

Back