Avocado Oil and Coconut Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annalee2003

Reaction score
Hi! Just wanted to run this recipe by with all you experienced folks first.

2lb batch
80% Coconut oil (25.60oz)
20% Avocado Oil (6.40oz)
Water 12.16oz
Lye 5.42oz

20% SF

I'm completely out of ingredients to soap with, so I went out and bought a small jar of coconut oil. We have a 33oz bottle of avocado oil sitting on the counter that the husband has been using to cook with .. And it's been calling to me for a week now, whispering "soap with me!" Haha. :)

Figured I'd try a bit of it out. I've never used it before (have heard good things though!).

There's also a challenge going on in another group that I'm in. The challenge is to make a pencil line in your soap, which I've never done before.
Would this recipe work for that? Should I even bother using the avocado oil and just do a 100% coconut oil soap (20% SF of course).
I was also thinking of doing another salt bar. Can I make a pencil line in a salt bar?

So sorry for all the questions! I always have a million thoughts and ideas running through my head when it comes to making up a soap recipe.

Thank you!

I think that's a great recipe to see what you think of high CO and high SF! When I use 100% CO for laundry and cleaning soap, it accels a bit for me. So if you plan it out well (like not using an accelerating FO/EO) you should be able to get a pencil line in there. Give it a shot and see how it goes anyway!

I did one similar today. 400g CO, 400g AO, 6% SF. Granted, I added a few drops of essential oils for scent, but not much (just the same as making cologne or perfume, a few drops of each scent in the mold is all you need, just be sure to stir well once it's poured).

It's sitting in a cool oven at the moment to keep the cat and dog hair out of it (I don't yet have a dedicated soaping room. Soon, though).

I did one similar today. 400g CO, 400g AO, 6% SF. Granted, I added a few drops of essential oils for scent, but not much (just the same as making cologne or perfume, a few drops of each scent in the mold is all you need, just be sure to stir well once it's poured).

It's sitting in a cool oven at the moment to keep the cat and dog hair out of it (I don't yet have a dedicated soaping room. Soon, though).

If you ever need to use the oven at the same time you want to protect your newly made soaps from the critter hairs, an inverted cardboard box (of the appropriate size) will provide the same protection.

Back