deodorant recipe-converting to grams

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been having issues with swollen lymph glands for the last two years and after another round of tests to check for cancer (none found) I've decided I want to try natural deodorant.
I found a recipe I think I might like but its all in volume measurements, anyone know how to convert this to grams? or have a recipe really close that is already in grams?

2 Tbs arrowroot powder or cornstarch
1 Tbs baking soda
1/2 Tbs bentonite clay (I used kaolin instead so it wouldn't stain)

1 Tbs each of: coconut oil, shea, coco butter, beeswax (I replaced about 1/4 tsp coconut with neem)
2 capsules Vit E
2 capsules probiotics

coconut oil can cause yellowing on your clothes. I always found PKO better and watch the Baking Soda, it can be very irritating or become irritating after time. I had to reformulate after mine became very irritating after 1.5 yrs.
Here is a link for a great unit conversion that I use all the time https://joshmadison.com/convert-for-windows/

That looks like it'll be a good recipe. I've been experimenting with natural deodorant lately too and so far I'm happy with how it works. I use baking soda and have had no irritation. What inspired me is seeing a tiny 4oz mason jar of natural deodorant in a boutique for $20! It had "food grade diatomaceous earth" instead of baking soda listed in the ingredients.

I've read about diatomaceous earth, it has a lot of uses so I think I'll try that in my next batch. I like that zinc is whiter but it seems have have its share of concerns.
I made a batch last night with the posted recipe. I really like the texture, its firm enough to use in a push tube. I really need to find a EO that will help cover the natural scent of the shea and neem though, I'd like something herbal.

Zinc is one of the few things that works for my stinky self, without terrorizing my skin like baking soda. I would definitely recommend trying it if the baking soda irritates you. The most simple recipe I've used was zinc and fractionated coconut oil at 30/70. A nice, smooth application, limited white left behind, but gets under your nails like anything else you have to apply with your fingers (I hate that)

I use babbasu oil instead of Coconut oil, and just no more than 3% of baking soda, so far for a year I had not have irritation. My EO are lavender and minth:))

I went to find my recipe book from when I was messing around with deos and I CAN'T FIND IT!!! I moved between seeing it last so I'm sure it's in the basement somewhere. If I find it I'll post the recipe I liked the most. The Baking Soda got to me pretty quick and become very unpleasant so I switched it out with Arrow Root Powder. I had stopped making my own when something in the mix was staining all my shirts in the pits. I tend to rock plain white Tees most of the time so this wasn't cool. I was using bentonite in them so that might have been it but it just looked like oil marks.

When I was researching ingredients, it was said that bentonite could cause staining. Thats one reason I decided to use kaolin instead though I have to wonder if the raw shea/coco butter might also be a culprit. Luckily I rarely wear white, just not a good idea when I own 3 black dogs.

I'm with you guys, baking soda turned my armpits fire engine red, bentonite clay and tea tree oil smell kind of funky, and something is staining the underarm parts of my bras, luckily so far, not my clothes, but I'm careful not to apply too much because I was worried about oil stains on my clothes. There's got to be an answer out thre somewhere.

So far no reaction to the baking soda but it not terribly effective at odor control. Its better then no deodorant but there is still a smell. I have been out in the heat shopping today though and I got quite sweaty, I don't handle heat very well.

Following this thread! I've had a few customer requests for deodorant, but haven't tried it yet. Since I'm the guinea pig for all of my creations, I'm nervous about giving up the commercial/chemical soup that I currently use during the hot summer months!

Oh, and to convert to grams when I did mine I started with an online recipe and just weighed everything the first time then tweaked it via grams from there out.
-Still haven't found my old recipes.

Oh, and to convert to grams when I did mine I started with an online recipe and just weighed everything the first time then tweaked it via grams from there out.
-Still haven't found my old recipes.

I figured I'd do that next time around. though I guess a little discrepancy in a recipe like this won't really matter.

My 2 cents:
1. Baking soda has a high pH, is gritty and will most likely irritate in the end. Use sparingly and watch out . Is your skin turning darker, forms a 'crust'? Do your armpits 'peel off'? Lower or ditch the baking soda. Baking soda is not interchangeable with cornstarch. You can use both, cornstarch may absorb some of the sweat.
2. These natural deodorants aren't for me. I would stink in 40c in summertime or in the sauna of the public transportation. If you do not want Al salts, try triethyl citrate, usnea Barbara extract (has usnic acid) or other antibacterial ingredients
3. It stains clothes but they wash off.
4. I am now trying to make my antiperspirant with a glycol and sodium stearate and Al salt...
5. Alum has no effect on me.i sweat when walking slowly. Then I can stink.

Life is hard when it comes to smells :)

I had to give up on antiperspirants decad ... well, years ago ... at a time in my life when sweating was soooo not cool and antiperspirants seemed to be a necessity of life. Unfortunately, antiperspirants caused swollen lymph nodes and cysts (plugged sweat glands) in my armpits. It was learn to live with underarm sweat or deal with potentially serious health issues.

So I decided to switch to deodorant-only products. I tried and can't use baking soda -- much too harsh on my skin. I have read a lot about homemade deodorants but haven't been real comfortable with the ingredients that stain or irritate so I've never tried any. Corn starch seems like it would be great food for the bacteria that cause underarm odor. Coconut oil ... yeah, I know its supposed to wash out of fabric pretty easily ... but will it really, especially in the cold water I normally wash my clothes in?

Anyway, after years of using a roll-on deodorant that is no longer made and Old Spice men's stick deodorant (no it doesn't smell too bad on a woman!), I now use Tom's of Maine deodorant. I've gotten good results with them all. Thankfully I find I only develop an underarm odor when I'm perspiring due to stress. Otherwise, the deodorant does a good job of controlling odor for just plain ol' everyday sweat.

Hope that's not TMI. :roll:

Back