Apple Cider Soap advice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyjude

Reaction score
Hi,

I found a recipe online for Apple Orchard Cider Soap. I'm a big cider fan and thought this would be a fun fall soap.

I have a few questions. Apple cider is used in place of distilled water. Is there anything special I should know about choosing the cider? I'm thinking that I'll end up with a pretty dark colored soap which is ok, but I wouldn't want any "floaty" sediment type stuff in the soap....or would I?

Also, the recipe calls for 3tsps. of honey. What type/brand of honey do you use? I believe I've seen posts before that state honey can really heat up and cause problems. TIA

Jude

I've been adding honey to my oils all along, and haven't had any trouble. That said, after reading posts here about powdered honey, that's sorely tempting.

As for which type of honey to use, I haven't seen anything that convinced me that any specific kind is needed, so I've been using just regular orange blossom honey, the same stuff I keep on hand for kitchen use.

I'm not sure about the cider, the main thing that popped into my head was whether some brands have added sugar or not.

x

it's the sugar in the honey (and cider) that heats up. my suggestion would be for your first batch do room temp-no water discount. mix your lye with half water, chill in fridge and then add half cider-i think i would use unfiltered-batch and pour your soap at medium trace. i would probably not scent the 1st batch so that i will be able to see exactly how the batch behaves.

insulate, but check on it A LOT! you want it to warm up a bit, but not to get hot. if it does, remove covering and stick in fridge overnight. (i usually soap in the afternoon) keep checking on it to make sure it cools down. if it wont chill-use the freezer for an hour or two. it wont hurt the soap.

since you dont want a hard gel, the soap may be a little soft and you might have to wait a day or two before cutting, but its better than having to clean up soap goo or have it volcano. after a batch or two, you'll know what to expect, and can go from there. apple jack and peel would be nice in it.

just plain regular honey that you put on muffins is fine.

good luck and tell us how it went!

monet

I made one - NOT my favorite.
:(

I used unfiltered cider in place of the water. I had the cider really cold and added the lye REALLY slowly. I had the pitcher (big 2qt pitcher) in the sink and I added the lye, stirred and turned to check on my melting oils. When I turned my head back the lye solution was foaming like a volcano out of the pitcher and into the sink. I didn't think I lost much (looked like mostly AT the top but very little OUT) so I went ahead and soaped it. That was 2 months ago and the soap is still soft to the "squeeze".

I need to try again..

Does it end up smelling like cider after the cure, or does it fade?

" lye solution was foaming like a volcano "

YIKES! :shock:

Thanks for the warning! Maybe I should start looking for an apple ciderish FO.

Jude

I guess I don't understand about using vinegar in soap, but since lye is a base and vinegar is an acid wouldn't the vinegar counter act the lye. When you get lye on you vinegar is what you use to stop the reaction.
Is extra lye needed to get the reaction of the lye to the oils for soap?

Not apple cider VINEGAR.. just apple cider. Like the kind you drink.

For me the scent did not carry over, even when bolstered with an "apple orchard" FO..

I'm trying again with a Fresh Mac Apple FO and less cider/more water to avoid the volcano.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't paying attention, when I see apple cider I automatically think vinegar, best thing in the world for acid indigestion.

x

heyjude said:
" lye solution was foaming like a volcano "

YIKES! :shock:

Thanks for the warning! Maybe I should start looking for an apple ciderish FO.

Jude

www.soapsupplies.net has a great apple jack and peel. also a KILLER lovespell-and an awesome bendel vanilla that stays white!

and flat rate shipping!

Thanks for the suggestions, Heartsong. I think that I'll play it safe and order one (or maybe both!) of the fo s you mentioned.

Thanks,

Jude

Back