Somebody stop me!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No caraway. I made a list of ingredients in the other post. I have to admit, I love my whole grain bread but yours will disappear in under 10 minutes if I got my hands on it! I really didn't mean to hijack your thread but I love bread.
Not a hijack at all! Your bread sounds amazing, and I'm going to have to stock up on different grains, flours and seeds next time I see the Red Mill display. Thanks for the inspiration. :-D

That looks incredible. I've been wanting to try and bake some but am confused about the flour. I've read you definitely need bread flour and then have read all purpose flour is just fine which I have almost 10 lbs of so I need to research more before I attempt it

Mine were made with regular, all purpose King Arthur flour. I know there are some that call for bread flour, but I think most of the "artisan in 5" recipes use AP flour. Just double check the recipe before starting. Give it a try!

Navigator it is cruel, I am low carbs and I do not eat bread anymore, it is difficult cause I make my own. The white bread in dutch oven I always made for special occasion :( how to make it and not to eat it?

Low carb is by far the best and easiest way for me to lose weight...but the bread...the pasta...the chocolate...they call me!

Here's my low-carb cheesy bean bread recipe. It is NOT a substitute for a good, crusty bread like this. It's more cornbread like. But it is very yummy with soup!

Cheesy Bean Bread

1 15 oz. can canelli beans or other white bean (drained & rinsed)
4 oz cheese (I love mozzarella or a sharp cheddar)
4 large eggs
1 tsp. baking powder
2Tbsp melted butter (oil is okay, but butter is better)
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
Herbs (optional; any you like)

Preheat oven to 350.

Prepare an 8x8-baking pan by spraying it with Pam.

Use food processor to blend all ingredients EXCEPT baking soda to a fine consistancy. Add baking soda and give it a quick blast to mix in the baking soda. Pour and bake.

My dad loves this with jalapeños.

That looks incredible. I've been wanting to try and bake some but am confused about the flour. I've read you definitely need bread flour and then have read all purpose flour is just fine which I have almost 10 lbs of so I need to research more before I attempt it

If your recipe calls for bread flour, look for something called Vital Gluten (I get it at my local bulk store). One tablespoon vital gluten per one cup of all purpose flour and you have bread flour.

dixie I got scared after seeing my blood test results, so like you I eat low carbs high fat, the last one is not easy because I do not like fatty foods, except avocado:))
I had stopped eating chocolate for the last 3 years or so, I do not like it anymore, before I always had chocolate on me to snack on it:)

We eat very low carb (usually) and I have to forbid fresh baked yeast bread in the house because there is simply no resisting it.

For anyone interested, our bread substitutes are soul bread, and oopsie rolls, both of which are virtually carb free. The soul bread does toast up with a bit of crisp to it.

Dixie I'm lucky to have never been a pasta person, but I did miss mac n cheese. Have you ever substituted zucchini noodles for pasta to make your pasta dishes? I find them to be a satisfying substitute. I'll even slice them with a mandolin to replace the pasta in lasagna - but you have to salt them out first because of the water content.

Last edited:
The bread with the seeds is the lower glycemic index bread. It's mostly oat bran, cooked triticale berries, corn resistant starch (not to be confused with cornstarch), flaxseeds soaked in water, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, wheat germ and extra gluten. There is some white bread flour in there too but at least half of it is other stuff. The corn resistant starch forms a soluble fiber that slows down the digestion and the release of sugar. The added whole seeds and grain are also slower to digest and come with their own soluble and insoluble fiber. I know "loaded" breads work well for our diabetic friends based on their feedback. The only thing is you need to make sure to drink extra water with it. Even the white bread in the picture has a quarter of the flour substituted with the resistant starch. It ends up a high fiber white bread.

I didn't use a recipe. I bake by feel most of the time. The origins of the method I used is in Tartine #3 baking book. You make the dough without the berries and seeds and you work them in during the rise. It's very easy and very forgiving. I use the Saf yeast which seems to work very well with loaded breads. I buy by the lb and keep it in the freezer. Here is a link for the book:https://www.amazon.com/dp/1452114307/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20. The book is worth checking out of the library if you like to bake. I keep all sorts of fibers (corn, rice, wheat, oat) in the refrigerator and all sorts of whole grains that I cook as needed and rotate them all in the bread.

If you like, I can measure everything the next time I make it.

I sure appreciate the list. I make bread by feel and by technique, also. Once I know the technique, I can usually go from there. But I knew that you had to have some special ingredients to lower the glycemic index. I will see if the library has the book...or if Kindle does.

Last edited by a moderator:
We eat very low carb (usually) and I have to forbid fresh baked yeast bread in the house because there is simply no resisting it.

For anyone interested, our bread substitutes are soul bread, and oopsie rolls, both of which are virtually carb free. The soul bread does toast up with a bit of crisp to it.

Dixie I'm lucky to have never been a pasta person, but I did miss mac n cheese. Have you ever substituted zucchini noodles for pasta to make your pasta dishes? I find them to be a satisfying substitute. I'll even slice them with a mandolin to replace the pasta in lasagna - but you have to salt them out first because of the water content.

My pasta substitute is spaghetti squash. I'm not fond of it with tomato based sauces but I really like it with creamy or cheesy sauces. it is easier than zucchini b/c it makes it's own noodles!

I did it again. More bread. This is too much bread for one person. I'm going to have to start handing it out to my neighbors. This time I tried a recipe from Youtube. I baked it in my cast iron skillet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0t8ZAhb8lQ It's just wrong for bread to be this easy!

Looks delicious, I love bread making. I bake bread once in awhile but I am not really a bread fan. But I love sweet bread

Not a hijack at all! Your bread sounds amazing, and I'm going to have to stock up on different grains, flours and seeds next time I see the Red Mill display. Thanks for the inspiration. :-D

Mine were made with regular, all purpose King Arthur flour. I know there are some that call for bread flour, but I think most of the "artisan in 5" recipes use AP flour. Just double check the recipe before starting. Give it a try!

Will definitely try it and thanks!

4 cups wheat, cover with water. Come back the next day.
Drain and rinse the sprouted wheat.
Drop the
Sprouted wheat
1/4 cup honey
One tablespoon of salt
Two tablespoons of yeast and
Two tablespoons of ground flaxseed into the food processor.

Blend and pulse until it looks like bread dough.
Proof as you would any bread dough.
If you do add liquid you can make a "no kneed" recipe out of the same.
I like to use hard red for the wheat berries but virtually any wheat can be used as long as it's still sproutable ( not kiln dried).

Don't blame me.
It' almost as easy as Navigator's bread but OMG it's good!

Back