RED Silicone Mold Bleeding Color Onto Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HerbalEarthling

Reaction score
So I've read a few posts around the web and here on SMF about the color of the mold bleeding onto the soap. I have used the mold twice now and both times I've had the color bleed. I've washed the mold several times, soaked it in hot, soapy water (dish soap from the store) and it is still bleeding. I don't allow my soaps to gel. Any thoughts on how to get it to stop or should I be lining it? I would link it but it seems that Essential Depot's website is literally closed for construction. :roll:

I would get hold of Essential Depot and complain. There is most likely nothing you can do. The soap is apparently reacting with their colorant in the silicone. If this is a new problem with their molds they may have changed silicone suppliers or the supplier changed formula. We had this happen once with our huge formiliners we used to make from urethane. The color bled on the concrete on a freeway soundwall. That was not good.

I would get hold of Essential Depot and complain. There is most likely nothing you can do. The soap is apparently reacting with their colorant in the silicone. If this is a new problem with their molds they may have changed silicone suppliers or the supplier changed formula. We had this happen once with our huge formiliners we used to make from urethane. The color bled on the concrete on a freeway soundwall. That was not good.

Good idea! I thought of that but just thought that it was just because it's sorta new and it was self error. I'll give them a shout when their website goes back up. I bought them last year sometime. They have since then come out with a "natural" colored one so I don't if they redesigned the mold due to complaints or... Thanks for your thoughts!

On the soundwall... Oops! Haha. Hope that worked out.

I had read at one time that they did bleed onto people's soap. Since your molds are a year old maybe they have changed how they make them. It was about 6-8 months ago I rememer reading it somewhere. Just give them a call. They may replace them. Can't hurt to ask.

I was concerned about this when I bought mine, so I got the natural version. If they DO offer to replace it you might want to ask them to send you that one.

I have one mold that is red and bleeds and one that is brown that bleeds, neither are ED, both are Wilton.

I have two newish red silicone moulds and neither of them have ever bled onto my soaps and I've made at least 6 batches with one of the two moulds. They're nothing special brand-wise, I just bought them for $3 each from the reject shop (Australia). I'd complain/send the moulds back to the shop.

The Wilton ones I got in the baking section had directions to wash with warm soapy water, dry, then wipe down with oil before the first use. I don't know if that's true of all silicone molds, but i have done it with all mine, even the cheap $0.99 ones from China, and so far *crosses fingers* have not had bleeding issues.

I have a red mold meant for cupcakes that also bleeds, so I stopped using it. The common denominator here is red and brown (which might use red?). Red is tricky, I suspect.

Another update: I absolutely love my new natural colored molds! No more red color on my soap! YAY! I am finally making soap that I am proud of and feel really good about. Life changing lol!

That's cool. I agree they are good to work with. I visited their Sebring soap & wine bar during my winter vaca to Florida. I bought a red and a white mold because I wanted two identical shapes that were easy to tell apart (plus I adored the red!). They told me it could bleed, but I already knew from online reviews that some (but not all) people had reported problems. I was willing to take the risk and work around it by only soaping dark batches in it. I use the white mold more often, and the red mold did bleed ever so slightly into one of my soaps, but I'm still glad I have them both.

Latest posts

Back