measuring fragrance/essential oils, weight vs volume?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewsie

Reaction score
this might be a stupid question but this subject hankers me every time i make soap, so i have to ask...

ive seen EO reco's at .5-1oz per pound of oils. i measure out all of my oils by weight, of course, but how do i measure the EO's? weight, or volume?

those ounces are ounces by weight.

you need to measure all your components the same way. since you measure your oils, butters, lye, and water by weight then you need to do so with the fragrance.

While we talk "ounce per pound of oils", you really should THINK "%" (1 oz ppo ~ 6%, btw)

carebear said:
those ounces are ounces by weight.

you need to measure all your components the same way. since you measure your oils, butters, lye, and water by weight then you need to do so with the fragrance.

While we talk "ounce per pound of oils", you really should THINK "%" (1 oz ppo ~ 6%, btw)

i never put that together in my head, thanks!! :D

carebear said:

do i need to somehow calculate essential oils as part of my base oils into my recipe? i know on the lye calculator at http://www.soapcalc.net/ there is a field for 'fragrance oz per pound' but i've never used it... uh oh! should i be, with essential oils?

Latest posts

Back