What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Read, watch a YT video, make a search on SMF, take some notes, read, watch a YT video, read, take some notes, make a search on SMF, read, watch a YT video... all day long. Does it count as soapy things ? :lol:

Read, watch a YT video, make a search on SMF, take some notes, read, watch a YT video, read, take some notes, make a search on SMF, read, watch a YT video... all day long. Does it count as soapy things ? :lol:

Well if it does count, then I am doing Soapy Stuff™ all the time...

Opened a package from Amazon. Even with the large plastic bag wrapped around it, the box was still quite wet (it's been raining all last night and today), but the products were well packaged and nothing inside was damaged.

Called FedEx to reschedule the delivery date for my MadOils order.

Cut 2 pounds of soap & took some photographs. Started planing & cleaning them up a bit for better photos. These are for the SMF challenge, so keeping the photos to myself until I submit the chosen one. :) I do like them all, but I doubt any are a match for the expert soap makers here at SMF. However, I got to practice gradient layers and even experimented with the technique a bit in hopes of creating something a little different.

Cussed at the water heater most of the weekend because it's not working. Boiled water on the stove so I could keep up with my soapy dishes. Made 4lbs of coffee soap, 4lbs spearmint & patchouli soap, and 2lbs of Dark Kiss type (finally settled on a design to work with the high vanilla content thanks to some great advice given to me here), wrapped 60 bars, screwed around with Soapmaker3... oh man! Now that I have everything entered, I am really enjoying its features! Picked up lard and tallow from the farm, olive oil from the grocery, and wood at the lumber yard. I've recently started doubling my batches so I made two larger molds. I'll be testing them out tonight with more restocks and doing a batch of New Year Castile in my 2lb tall & skinny. Hopefully water heater will be repaired by end of the day tomorrow. I've been showering at my dad's house across the street and I keep forgetting to bring my own soap and he has yucky soap. I'll have to bring several bars of mine over as a gift for him - and then use them myself, bwahahaha.

Hooray !!Finally today got to make first soap for this year ( just being away for 2weeks to see my family but feels like months since my last soaping !!) Had a first go for SMF challenge , very excited to see how it will turn up tomorrow when will cut it up , first time im trying a layered gradient !! Still got to wash up the pots after soaping , just having a quick sneaky look here !! :D

Cut my Strider fandom soap and made what I suppose is a castile. The bottles of oil claimed to be olive oil, LOL. I did scent it with limoncello fragrance though. Smells like lemons in the kitchen.

Finally made my new year Castile. Unscented but I did color it. The mica dusting on top ruined it IMO. Next time I'll know to leave it alone!

1484670858403.jpg

So this weekend I attempted the unofficial home version of "the gradient challenge. As I worked feverishly to get to a med trace it became painfully obvious that perhaps I didn't make a wise recipe choice. With my hopes of gently progressing layers of color swirling around in a pan of batter that didn't want to even move past emulsion the situation quickly deteriorated to a "hold my beer and watch this" kind of thing. The resulting dump of batter and color left little hope of anything past, dat be some ugly soap!

Cut it tonight, and while not what I had planned, certainly not that bad either. This hobby (for me) rocks! Train wrecks to treasures, can't beat it! :)

20170118_172139.jpg

Bought some olive, coconut and avocado oil. Received some calamine powder. shea butter and cypress oil from southern skies soap supplies. Spent way too much time on this forum. Grabbed a blueberry box from the greengrocers which I think will be perfect for curing; takes up way less space than the nectarine box I was using. :)

I cut my Crisp Cotton soap that I made yesterday. Smells awesome and looks ok. My blue mica turned gray, but that will only bother me. Then I made a batch of ombre sandalwood soap. Can't wait to cut it and see how it went. I haven't been around long enough to be in the challenge but I had never done an ombre soap, so I did it anyway. Saved out enough batter to make a couple of bars of straight patchouli soap for a friend. Clean up from a 7 layer ombre is not fun. . .

Woo hoo! Way to go! I hope you enjoyed it- I was so excited after my first batch!!!

I'm now up to 5 vegan no palm recipes. I am going to do a Bastille while I'm busy making the others. I may throw in a castille too, just because. Not sure which day or days they will get done, but I have a 4 day weekend starting now so so should be able to manage. I am doing very small 2 bar batches. One bar of each for testing and the rest will have to tide hubby over until a full batch of his preference is cured.

I just tried a Jasmine FO that I only used once long ago from a free sample, but bought again recently from Candora Soap because I couldn't find anything like it. It's a super strong floral scent - smells like expensive perfume without any kind of chemical undertones, unlike the NDA stuff. My plan was to do another butterfly hanger swirl, but the second I added it to the base - oh my! Ricing like crazy, and had to stick blend to smooth the lumps - then got very very thick. I plopped it into the mold, and my other colors wouldn't even break through a little as I layer poured them against the side of the mold. Then when I finished the colors, the left over white I plopped into the mold fell through my perfect colors. Very sad. I did the hanger swirl anyway. I'll find out tomorrow when cutting time comes to see how ugly it is...

yes, I'm looking for sympathy. Hahaha!

New Soap Mold

I just received my new soap mold in the mail yesterday and got to try out my first batch in it. It is made out of clear heavy duty shatterproof resin. I am hoping it will save me time and money as I should not have to waste one bar of soap on each end when I was doing freezer paper. Attached is my first batch of soap that I made in it and I hope to be able to unmold it today.

IMG_1619.jpg

IMG_1622.jpg

Made a soap with sandalwood fo doing the spin swirl technique and I like the way it came out. Also beveled and planed some soaps

I had great plans to be a soap making maniac this winter, but so far fate has other plans for me! First I slice my thumb open on Christmas and can't make soap for at least 3 weeks cause I can't get a glove on over the bandage, now I have this terrible flu going around and no energy for soaping.

So my soapy thing to do today is mix colors for soap and measure out oils and butters. Hoping that tomorrow I'll feel good enough to make some!

Labeled Lip Balm, and beveled & planed and some general clean up and steaming. For some reason I get more ash in the winter.

Back